Humbled and touched by recent experience

quote:

Originally posted by FarangDang:

[QB]I don't think Taxi's are all that unsafe for bargirls. I'm sure abductions and rapes happen occasionally, but the frequency is probably exaggerated by the Thai press and the bargirl rumor mill. A girl brand new to Bangkok should be especially careful (although not paranoid), but experienced bargirls should be fine.

QB]

My Gf is from Chiang Mai and travels to BKK to buy clothes she sells in her shop. A few months ago she got a taxi from the bus station to the market where she buys the clothes. Told the driver where to go and soon she realized her was taking her somewhere else. He would not stop to let her out, only drove faster. She pulled a knife on him! He let her out and sped away. She grabbed another taxi and that driver said she should never get into a taxi alone unless she has a cell phone with her to call for help. This was during the day. Now she takes a friend with her to BKK. Won't go alone.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by FarangDang:

Just because you have a TW (and kid) doesn't mean that you don't have significant space in your life for her (either as a potential mia noi, or even just as a steady customer). And even if you don't pay as much per "service", a steady income (especially with someone as charming as you ;-) makes a difference to her.

You say you weren't manipulated, but that's hard to be certain of. Certainly you were touched by her and your actions did change as a result. Even if you didn't slip her a few thousand baht extra (on principle), you might be more likely to go back and see her. Note that doesn't mean I think she was deliberately working you.

I'm really heartened by the level of discussion on this thread!

You are of course totally right, dead on in fact. Even with someone for whom these ladies develop real feelings, they are so used to manipulating men (both consciously and unconsciously) and playing the game that they continue to play their familiar role on some level for a long time (maybe even forever, for some of them). I think that's why it's so satisfying and touching when you find a lady in the scene with whom you can share even the odd moment of real feelings.

By way of update: I do continue to see her often. The more time I spend with her the more I think that if the situation were just a little different, love might really blossom here.

For me this experience is one in a string of similar experiences over the past couple of years, but for some reason I'm enjoying this one more than usual.

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: TEDBKK ]

in Thailand, flattery will get you everywhere. I was told 3 times in a week that i looked like Nicolas Cage and Mel Gibson. Neither could be further from the truth! And of course i was tickled to death because nobody in the U.S. would say that in 10 years! The girls do manipulate, and so do we...just as i am thinking that i have met the nicest, most affectionate and caring Thai lass i have ever come across, i am busy meeting another, and another....sometimes the tears are very real..they are a mixture of the desires, emotions, and all else that are available to us in LOS obviously unlike anything we can find nor experience in our own cultures.......chok dee

Tedbkk,

I don't have anything to teach someone who's lived there for two years, (wish I could say the same!), my experience of Thailand is limited to one 6 month trip followed by four trips varying in length between 3 and 2 weeks. So I guess I'm posting more for the benefit of the totally uninitiated. Let me preface what I'm going to say next with this confession. I love Thailand and Thai people. It is my favourite place in the world and where I feel most at ease and happy.

Now, whatever your experiences, do not doubt that the ladies can and do turn the tears on - the most convincing tears - at will. I've seen it, and had it happen to me on one memorable occasion when she thought I was no longer around. I'm not saying your situation wasn't as you described, or that the possibility for real emotion between farang and Thai doesn't exist. It does. But do not be so quick to equate 'real wet tears' with proof of sincerity. They often, sadly, are not.

This whole thread reminds me of 'Try a little tenderness'. The Big O says it all:

Oh she may be weary

Those young girls they do get weary

Wearing that same old shaggy dress

But when she gets weary

You try a little tenderness

Now it's not just sentimental no

But she has her griefs and cares

But the soft words they are spoke so gentle

yeah yeah yeah

And it makes it easier to bear

Oh she won't regret it, no no

Them young girls they don't forget it

Love is their whole happiness

yeah yeah yeah

But its all so easy

all you got to do is try

Try a little tenderness

Amazing thread.........It is fascinating to me how many farangs/ex pats/sex tourists etc..are all on the same page here......I think it takes a special kind of girl to truly love a Farang and vice versa.......But what do I know??

quote:

Originally posted by oldian:

in Thailand, flattery will get you everywhere. I was told 3 times in a week that i looked like Nicolas Cage and Mel Gibson. Neither could be further from the truth!

I guess they had their movies on, respectively, that week, on UBC. wait til' they see a Gene Hackman movie laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Folks,

Some random thoughts.

I have had several BGs tell me that they will not ride in a taxi alone, but that they have no qualms about taking a motorbike taxi. Easier to get off (at the traffic lights etc) and harder for the rider to grab the girl I suppose?

For every BG I have met who was a lying, thieving bitch I have met two who were sweet, lovely girls. I don't know if the tears were real.

I would hazard a guess that for a BG who has not yet been made a complete cynic by her profession, a tryst with a man who is prepared to expend quite a bit of money and affection on her must be a welcome change to the way she is generally treated by the men she encounters in her day-to-day life.

Regards,

DocM.

quote:

Originally posted by singbond:

I back TedBKK fully.

Also those who get the real thing and cherishing it!

Things have gotten vastly, vastly more complicated over the past 3 weeks or so. I will post an update soon. This situation and in fact my whole 2 year+ experience in Thailand should be required reading for newbies.

Archived