where to take GTG's?

deadman

Guest lazyphil

<<Take a river taxi to Nonthaburi and rent a longtail or take a dinner cruise back. Stop at Koh Kret while you are nearby to see a land that time forgot. >>

at last someone posting about one of my favorite los spots, koh kret (my mrs neck of the woods), dont forget to take a peek at the areoplane parked on someones yard on stilts on the river on the island, seen it SD?

tyefit said:

How about the Tawaeng Daeng

Urgh horrible place, too many tables crowded together, no thai beer (last time I went in Jan) band plays too loud and not enough dance space. Likely to tell you that you have to buy fruit at 100 baht for the show when it's the same thing that's always on. Tangkay Issan is better IMO. If she like comedians pran nam khow cafe is quite nice.

Some jazz bars can make a nice change.

There are two Tawan Daeng's which are completely different venues.

Tawan Daeng German is very similar to the Coliseum; a giant beer hall but instead of Heineken it is a microbrew with a wheat, pilsner, and stout (which are quite good by the way). Like the Coliseum, it has shows and bands on stage for entertainment, but little dancing. The menu is a split between Thai and German and the Thai food is more suited to a western palette here.

Tawan Daeng Isaan is smaller and a "maw lum" place where you get Isaan music sung by singers in silk customes, has the more bizarre and authentic spicy Isaan cuisine, and Isaan dancing. The music at "maw lum" places is especially loud.

You could bring a girl from Isaan to either, though chances are they would like Isaan Tawan Daeng the most. If a girl is not from Isaan, most likely she would not enjoy Isaan Tawan Daeng so not a good choice.

Thanks a bunch guys, there's some great suggestions here, especially like the sound of the jazz place, i actually had something like that in mind

Can anyone give more info on the shrimp fishing place? What's the name and more precise directions? Link? That sounds kinda cool.

Khun neo:

I go to the place on Tong Lor, turn into soi 10 from TL and it's about half way along on the left, look for a big white sign that says 'prawn fishing' (of all things). There are a bunch of other night club type places, go right to the back, it's near a place called the silom sauna (so if you don't hook any prawns you can hook a hooker afterwards). Guarantee it's a good night out, though yo girl may want you to bait her hook (tell yo girl if she doesn't catch, she doesn't eat). Can be a lota fun getting them in when you do catch em, especially as they bight damn hard

cheers

dm

For Jazz, I'd reccomend Saxaphone pub by Victory monument and or Brown Sugar on Sarasin road. As I recall Brown Sugar doesn't have live music every night...Saxaphone Pub does...but both are great, maybe do a night of "jazz club hopping" and hit both, dinner at one, drinks at the other...?

Guest lazyphil

If you go to ko kret you can walk to a shrimp fishing restaurant 10/15 mins away just up chang wattana road to the right of Major' cinema/shops, good fun!

on thonburi side of saphan sanghee there's a couple nice restaurants/bars on the river. band plays inside, nicer to sit outside along river. further up river at end of charansanitwong 96 (if memory serves me well) is pier 96...nice place as well.

reflections on soi ari is a good choice, as is bangkok bar on ekamai soi 1 (if still open)

spoon has good bands playing every now and then

Archived