What to do , where to go

BJ_Blackowitz

I am thinking of leaving europe for a month or two and visiting SEA for that period of time

I have this on my list

LOS ( seen enough of bkk, pty,hkt area)

few days BKK area when arriving

no more pattaya, No Phuket area

Hua Hin for a 2 weeks relaxation at the end of the trip

visit Isaan ?? just to see that area

chang mai.

cambo: one week

- PP

- SR / Angor Wat

- ??????

Vietnam ( one week)

can someone tell me a few must see , where also some sanuk is posible

I would like to visit Singapore a few days after the cambo/ vietnam trip

the questions

Can a oldhander tell me a few MUST see in that area

(just a shortish overview)

is US$20-25 per night possible while not being in shitholes?

What is the average daybudget when earting and drinking normally ( 1000b in los)

does one need malaria tablets in that area?

is July-August apart from being hot , not to wet ?

tnx in advance

when going I will report a Field report with links to pictures when finished.

T'were me it would be,

Bangkok 3-4 days

Pattaya 5 days

Angeles 5 days

Phnom Penh 3-4 days

Siemp Reap 3 days

Vientieanne 5 days

Udon Thani 3-4 days

or some variation on that theme, and except for Bangkok and the Orchid in Angeles, all the accomm should be in the $20 range.

There's plenty on the board about these destinations

Cheers

Coss

if doing vietnam & cambo I'd definitely include laid back laos as well. you may tour it overland if on a budget or perhaps look into an south east asian airpass?

for issan buriram province has some nice temples I hear, but personally I didn't see any yet even some advice they're more stunning than the whole angkor complex & obviously cheaper(angkor 2-3day pass runs 25usd+?) ;)

singapore I wouldnt bother especially not if on a 25usd budget(bunk bed on benkolen st. is all that gets it that!) try bali or anywhere in indonesia or malaysia instead ;)

tnx IB13.

Bali / indonesia/ Mal, not needed as dutch I was there a few times with parents.

if singha-pure :), then only two nights, I just want to see the city.

Budget is not a real problem. I am thinking about 3-4K US for 6 weeks (without airtravel)

25US per day is 1200US for sleeping

20US per day for food is 800-900

that leaves me another 25 per day for drinks and another 25 for sanuk or travel.

should be enough I think.

• 2 weeks later...

RVN: Vietnam.

I traveled to Hanoi on one trip. Saigon on another.

Everyone very friendly at both destinations. Except the Customs/Immigration - all former generals in the NVA Army - and they show it.

From my experience, Vietnam wants you to have a hotel booked in advance. Any hotel. But once you get out of cab, you can walk to any other hotel and book a room. I booked - on line (US $28.00) - a modest hotel near City Hall on side street. When I exited cab, I mistakenly walked into wrong hotel. There were about 7 or 8 hotels on street. Just checked in. No questions asked. And this was a newer and better hotel than I had booked on line. That hotel was just down street - and older - and higher price. The hotel I stayed at - clean and newer - US $18.00 per night with free breakfast. I did walk in to original booked hotel, and price was cheaper in the walk-in than booking on line.

I spent last night at the REX - directly off park in front of City Hall. All the fancy Hiltons/Mariotts were within view. The REX is/was US $85.00 and first class. Just older. A lot more character than the antiseptic newer ones.

Be sure to visit the War Museum. Got to love to hate Americans. Be careful though, as they sometimes pluck Westerners, and send them randomly to "Re-education Camps".

Oh, and the War Museum somehow forgets the Vietnamese War with China and the Vietnamese Invasion and occupation of Cambodia.

Archived