Cheeky?

I was chatting with this gal at a meeting and after on the BTS and this subject came up. Her English was OK, but she did not get "cheeky" aside from a song lyric (ya know, ugh, "I'm a Cheeky Girl"). I tried to explain in Thai and English, but I still do not think she understood. I found it very difficult to explain it as being a good trait (IMHO), cuz it sounds bad.

When speaking Thai, I used ·ÃàÅé¹ (ta-len), but either:

a) that is not the right word

B) I was not saying it correctly (I said it as transliterated, with rising tones on both syllables)

c) she was just stupid

Which was it? Any other words/phrases for cheeky or sassy?

Cheers,

SD

EDIT -- I also tried ËÂÒº (yap), but I know that one is too negative for what I was going for and maybe this confused her?

Yeah, Yaap/vulgar/coarse/rude won`t convey the sense of a "good trait".

ta-len should cover it.

High tones on both syllables though, but she should have figured out the meaning anyway.

·ÃÅÖè§ could mayby be another option?

It is a much more common word judging by the times I hear it, although it seems to be a harsher word than ta-len and often used with sexual connotations.

cheers

hua nguu

"High tones on both syllables though,"

Duh, you're right. And I know that. I just wrote it wrong. Besides, my tones suck anyway. No matter if I know how to say it, it never somes out correctly. Just ask Mrs Tiger LOL! She busts my balls about that all the time.

So she was prolly just not to sharp then LOL? But if I see her again, I tell her ta-leung and see if that works, even tho' wifey says that is too negative too, i.e., meaning "rude" more than "cheeky/sassy" (in the fun/good sense). :dunno:

Oh well. She asked me to explain the term, so I am not the one in trouble here. But maybe I got the guy who used it into trouble. If so and you are reading this: sorry mate, I tried. :D

Cheers,

SD

Archived