65 year old Stewardesses?

SpiceMan

BA set to raise staff pension age

British Airways plans to raise the retirement age for some of its workers in a bid to close a 1bn black hole in its pension scheme.

Under the proposals, the compulsory retirement age for pilots and cabin crew will rise initially to 60 from 55.

However, within five years, the retirement age for BA cabin crew will rise to 65, the airline told unions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4836054.stm

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...That's why I like Thai and Singapore Airlines, great way to fly having something pleasant to look at!

--------------------

ikkrang ..."

I think they fire the fight attendents (women) at age 30 or if they get married...most of those Asian carriers are like that...

I guess the USA Stewardess union has some pull,

would seem cheaper to get younger ones at lower rates,

and let the old bats go ......

I beat the USA airlines would really like to hire stewardesses from the Phillipines etc and pay them the local wages,

How much does a Thai air stewardess get paid compared to United or Lufthansa ?

OC

Well ask Northwest about that. They recently ratified their flight attendant contract and wanted to be able to hire more foreign flight attendants to save money.

As far as the age, one of the best flight crews I ever had was a bunch of old crones on a Northwest flight from Narita to Detroit. I was sitting their thinking that there was not a looker in the bunch but man did they do a hell of a job making sure everyone was happy. After 13 hours flying that was all I wanted.

There are married Thai air hostesses. Don't know about the age requirement though. It is hard as hell to get on with Thai. Just about takes some pull. Several of my students have got jobs with JAL and others with Emirates. Not one has been able to get on with Thai, even though their English was damn near native speaker level.

Archived