65 year old Stewardesses?

SpiceMan

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The oldest stewards and stewardesses I have ever seen is on the British Airways flight from BKK to Sydney.

Worst service ever! And I have flown Iraqi Airways so that is saying something!!

When the captain announced the flight crew needed to be seated for turbulence you never saw old people move so fast.

I did know a Thai flight attendant, she said the age cut off was 30, and marrage was a no no, as was pregnancy...this was awhile ago, and may have changed. I have heard this was more less common practice for many Asian carriers. My Filipina ex's sister worked briefly for PAL, but was let go when she married...

It does take tons of pull to get hired at Thai, in ANY job! One board member here told me he saw a Thai woman with ML ststus working as a flight attendent...many are in deed from posh families...odd that they would use that much pull and whatever, to get a waitress job...go figure...

You should see what happens when Thai announces some openings. Literally thousands are gorgeous young gals -- all from top universities -- rush to apply. They will have degrees in Law from Thammasat, degrees in English from Chula ... you name it. From the thousands who apply, maybe 500 will be called for a written test. From those, less than 200 will be called for an interview in English. Eventually, maybe 30 or 40 will get hired.

For some reason, becoming a Thai hostess is seen as a dream job. True, the pay isn't great compared to western airlines. But it is good for Thailand. Plus they get annual bonuses and other perks. Their immediate family can fly for free on Thai too, even the international flights.

I have taught some fantastic students, excellent English and really stunners, but a couple have managed to get on only as ground hostesses. Not one has made it to become a cabin attendant with Thai.

p.s. As to salary, the airlines just about all have different pay by nationality. Thais flying with JAL, QANTAS etc will be getting only a fraction of what the Japanese and Oz counterparts get. Same with the pilots. We used to have an American on the board who flew for JAL. He told me that even though he was the captain, his salary was less than his Japanese co-pilot.

One of the previous postyers was right. To become a job as a Stewardess at TG you need very good contacts, and have a good backgorund.

Two of my wifes closest friends work there. Both from very respectable Bangkok Families. They say it is very well paid, if you include all the perks and bonuses. They take home about 60k a month. If they fly long haul regularly, a bit more.

At the beginning they only fly within thailand, then after about a year they get onto asian flights, and after about 4 years they normally start flying long-haul. That's where the real money is to be made.

Many of the stewardesses earn quite a living with buying stuff in other countries or duty-free, and selling it back in BKK with a small profit.

I think a co-pilot earns around 80-100,000 and a captain 150-200,000 and the stewards/stewardesses 30-50,000, so maybe with bonuses coming up to 60,000.

The english skills of the stewardesses vary a lot, some hardly speak anything at all, some are good but never yet met any fluent. This of course caused by the nepotism then recruiting. It's finer to work in 1st class, biz and premium classes so there you often find some of the not so good speakers.

I've never seen any pregnant stewardess, but have spoken with some married with yet no children over the years. They see it as natural to stop work for some years for stay home while the children are small and after that work in airports. Most of the cabin chiefs are male but some are older women, but I don't know if they're unmarried or childless.

OK, my ex sales guy gf is a thai stewardess, just a stunning girl from middle class background, and NO WAY she ears those figures, 15 000 was her base, double it with bomus at the most amazing best. Same rate by the way as a THai girl I know who flies on QANTAS! She applied for a job with us, great english, wanted to much $ though.

DOG

Archived