How Wet is Soi Cowboy During Songkran?

Kite_Flyer

I arrive in Bangkok for my next job this weekend and I'll be heading straight to SC to catch up with a friend once I've unpacked :)

It's Songkran and my big question is "how wet will I get in SC?" I can probably get from my hotel to the BTS, BTS to Asok to Sukhumvit MRT to SC entrance on Soi 21 and stay dry but I don't know what to expect in SC. Alternatively I can take a cab to the entrance of SC but I still have to cover the distance to the bar.

Does anyone know from past experience how wet SC gets at night during Songkran? Just wondering if I should dress defensively and carry suitable "armament" ;)

You may as well just dive into a pool with your clothes on. You will not make it one foot without getting soaked. But it is fun if you are ready for it. So be ready...

P1003008.jpg

P1003011.jpg

Samples from last year!

Cheers,

SD

Nope. The water throwing stops at about 1800 or a bit after. And they follow the "no water throwing indoors" rule too, so you can step into a bar (or even on the front porch) to get a reprieve.

It is actually pretty well controlled mayhem (tho' on occasion it gets out of hand and has to be reigned back in :( ).

Cheers,

SD

Odd. My experience as well over the years. For the most part, 99 out of 100 that is, it is dry in BKK after ~1800.

Obviously YMMV.

Cheers,

SD

PS -- I still keep my valuables wrapped in plastic at night, just in case.

Archived