Non-bar girls looking for love

LoL ! Dude, I know that they like money (who doesnt ?). but 'millions' ?? And in USD !

There are avaricious people in every culture - we certainly have plenty of homegrown gold-diggers right here in Oz. The thing which I admire about the Chinese is that they make the most of any situation they are thrust into : we bought them out here to do jobs that we didnt want to do, and resented them when they stayed and made money. You will find Chinese people almost anywhere that there is oportunity, regardless of climate, terrain or distance from their original homeland. Today, the poverty of mainland Chinese is being exploited by many global corporations - anyone out there wearing Nike or Gap ? - who can rely on their work ethic to get the job done. At the other end of the spectrum, Asia has some extremely rich people, many of them ethnic Chinese. The people at the bottom aspire to join the people at the top - isnt that 'the American dream' ? My contention was that they adapt to new environments more quickly, not that they are candidates for sainthood.

Iuytrede, your post seems a little too passionate to be a casual observation, so I have to assume that you have a personal stake in this. If so, I hope that you can forgive the girl(s) in question and accept that Chinese people are indviduals, just as we are :}

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to give heed to these office-clerk types who go looking for a falang. What motivates them? Are they out looking for a true love to spend the rest of their life with? I'd say 1/100 are in the same mindset as the falang pursuing the Thai. Unless the woman has taken acid and deconstructed and transcended the Thai social structure, I would be careful. These "types" (as if they are some type of locusts damaging the crops) should be carefully studied before allowing them to propogate in your realm. It is my theory that many of the "middle class locust types" are looking for a falang for the same reason most of the Chinese ones are. They want to practice English for free, they are curious about us, and they want to have the oppportunity to obtain more material luxuries. Yes, there are similarities between women across the world so don't make that argument. This is ok if you don't mind the reciprocal exploitation arrangement whereby you exploit her lovely body in exchange for dinner, a movie, and free English lessons. It is my contention that most of the young maidens are not up for the serious relationship/marriage idea since it would result in her being socially penalized (ouch that must hurt!). This impact of this penalization by far outweighs the advantages of being with a falang long-term (especially if Thai Chinese, no evidence just a gander). Why? The entire society will look at you on the street like you are a whore when you are not. Other friends won't want you to be around since they don't want to be viewed as whores either (they may feel other people will think they are whores so since the falang is around). Lastly the ultimate loss of face that will occur to the family.

artiew

>Personally, I believe that Chinese women adapt better to life in the West, but thats just me. Need to hear from the Thai members who have been OS - Jasmine ? GTG ? Anyone ?

I just posted on another thread. I do agree with you, artiew. I think the Chinese over all men and women adapt better to the life outside China. In my experience, they are happy to be given the chance to be in Western countries and do the best they can to build their life from scrash. They work extreamly hard and don't care how they are treated (usually very badly from the locals). And they succeed.

GTG

Anyone who still believes this is true needs to take a look around. I hang out with college educated thai females all the time when I am there. Outside of the work enviroment and in various settings. We are not stared at...they are not treated with any dis-respect..Maybe it is true if the Falang is older and the girl looks like she is 16!! This stereotype needs to be pu tto sleep! I interact with thai females all the time...no problems at all!! From university students to professional businesswomen..I can't believe people are still hanging on to these old stereotypes!

aussiejohn said :

thai women seen with farangs are considered whores and are looked down on by the rest of thai society?

AJ,

Sorry to paraphrase the statement when you had turned it into a question, but I am a LAZY SOD.

I have read that Thai women dont want to be seen in public with a Farang if he is poorly dressed : shorts etc. Given that this is what most of us lounge around in whilst on holidays, it does stand to reason that people will assume she is a BG. The age diff is another biggie.

All that aside, I got the usual looks when accompanied by my BG in Pattaya, but neither of us gave a flying f**k. The fact that I am about a foot taller than she is would have contributed to the spectacle, but a ten year age difference is nothing special, even here in Oz, so I didnt feel overly self-cnscious about it. Did fall into the trap of checking out other guys GF's, and reflecting on what a great choice I had made :}

The BG's in Pattaya seem pretty cocky - sort of like 'dont look at what you cant afford' with some of the local Thais, but mine seemed to get on well with all and sundry. Aaah, mammories, er, memories !

TD,

I made my initial thoughts on this known in my post to iuytrede, but it seems that he is not alone in his opinion of Chinese women.

As someone with a vested interest in a girl from Mainland China, I'd be interested to hear about your experiences re Chinese women and their apparent desire for money. Thus far, it has not been an issue for me, but I am always happy to learn from the experiences of others.

Beastie,

Stereotypes, as we all know, have on occassion been proven to be untrue. It would be good to get a Thai response to this but even that response couldn't be taken as the whole truth ( I would hope so but we all try to defend the negative aspects of our own culture sometimes). Your personal experience I think is an anamoly. Thais are not going to come right out and say, "Yes, your girlfriend is a whore." Furthermore, they are not going to be disrespectful in her face. My friends that I hung around with before I met my girlfriend have been nice to her when she is around. They are not overtly social with her as most city guys and gals in the states don't really have much in common with Billy the Bronco from Tulsa, Oklahoma. I also don't believe the ones I know well enough think she is a whore. However, in the eyes of the general public I can see in their eyes and mannerisms that they are thinking, "Oh! look at that handsome falang and his cute little whore from Issan, aren't they a nice couple." Line stolen from a previous poster I believe. And why shouldn't they think that? I would guesstimate that 95% of the falangs are with whores. Seems to make perfect sense.

Archived