Midnite loses a customer over 20 minutes

Ranger

What happened to the barfine money?

Did the Mamasan give it back to you?

Told the lady, 'change your clothes and let's go now, or, {I told the Mamasan}, please give me my barfine back'

She changed her clothes and off we went.

I actually told them to put the barfine on my checkbin, so no barfine was paid. I expected the same thing you described to happen, and I certainly could have waited 20 minutes. It was just the principle of me being the customer and I don't like it when a bar or a girl starts handing down rules. Once I told the mamasan that she was losing a customer, it became a "face" issue. No worries, someone else got my money that night.

Ranger

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Mr. Ranger,

As keeper of a public house here in UK, I can say with all good thought,this type of nonsense on the part of the bar matron was most unacceptable!

Many years ago, when my wife and I took over the public from an ill dear old uncle of mine, I told her specifically, that with no exception, the customer is the be all and end all of our trade! The customer is the reason we are in business, and our treatment of him or her is paramount to us staying in business. I most distinctly informed her, there would be no "Thai style" operations conducted in our pub where patrons were concerned.

I should think nothing of giving the sack to any of my employees who was responsible of driving away a customer, be he a buyer of one pint or a dozen! There is simply no excuse for anything less than the best of treatment for your customers, they are after all the ones feeding your family.

You see lads, a pub is a place to go and be treated as family. A place where one can indulge in a bit of spirit, enjoy the match or conversation, have a toss of the quills (darts for you yanks :) ) or run a rack of the ivory, perhapes sing a bawdy song, and forget the troubles of the day. I should say, when I hear tell of a bad pub, I shall certainly forget it exists, as no doubt others soon should follow suit! These horrid proprietors need be taught a lesson in the wallet, only way they'll learn!

I practically lived at midnite with the exception of last trip, got on very well with the Owner nothing was too much trouble. I did notice a new mamasan last trip and she was very pushy, always wanting to give a neck massage or trying to get a drink, absolute bitch. I always got on very well with teh old mamasan and the muscle fella at the door and use to get away with heaps of mischief, the new mamasan knew I didnt like her and she stayed her distance, last time I was swinging on the pole at the table we were sitting at and she went crook at me, as she was the owner walked past and said "Oh no he is ok", think the fact that my bill as about 9,000 and I had barfined 3 birds might have had something to do with it. It was one of the girls birthday and we were having a blast. As I said the owner has always been very good with me.

As i see it, over the last couple of trips things have changed.

There can never be a comparison between pubs and clubs back home and thailand, as we have heard thousands of times, there is no such thing as customer service in thailand(on most part anyway). They think differently. If a customer leaves in thailand there thought process is too bad, no problem, customer bah(often we must admit we have all heard stories about crazy customers before, when in reality they were complaining because of poor customer service, or lack there of). In the western world we ask questions as to why we dont have or have lost customers, and often try to correct any misconceptions, or re-train where needed.

Sadly i have noticed that more and more farang owners, are turning a blind eye to the often repetative complaints from farangs. It seems to many now want to be seen as a good boss or person, and often will side with the girls instead of the customer, so the girls get to keep on doing or playing there little tricks(which in reality is to get as much money out of us as they can for as little service as possible on there part).

If what fat bastard is trying to achieve is true, then he would be one of the very few who would be siding with the farang instead of the girls.

One thing i have noticed is the difference in thai owned to farang owned establishments.

In a thai owned or run place the girl need a pretty good excuse not to go with a customer, whereas from talking to a few girls from different farang owned and run extablishments, it is an up to me mentality, all so the farang is considered a nice guy, or is it more to the point he can go home and sleep at night?

Several bar owners have told me there is a shortage of dancers these days. The bar scene has grown so much over the past decades that the number of gals willing to work in them is insufficient. One owner told me that in the late '80s and early '90s gals came to him and asked if they could work in his bar. Nowadays, he has to go out and look for dancers. He has to take what he can get, which explains the fatties. And if he tells one off for doing something wrong, she will simply quit on the spot and find a new job somewhere else the next day.

Understandable why some Farang owners might prefer just to turn a blind eye to things.

Archived