Midnite loses a customer over 20 minutes

Ranger

Midnite has lost my business, not that I'll be spending much time in Bangkok anymore anyway. It's not about the 140B lady drinks either, although that should be reason enough to give the place a pass. Was hanging out there last night and my buddy wanted to call it an early night as he was still a bit jet lagged. I had a new regular on my lap and asked her if she wanted to go now. Enthusiastic yes, so gave her the barfine money and she handed it to the mamasan who scolded her rudely and then came over and told me that I would have to wait until 9 pm (20 minutes) as it was this girls turn to dance.

I was quite puzzled by this and asked what difference 20 minutes made and said that I wanted to go now. She held firm, so I held firmer and said I was leaving now and wondered aloud if she should be treating one of her best customers this way (I would hate to have a count on how many 1000's of Baht I've dropped in here over the years). That just pissed her off and she sent the girl off to dance. I paid my bill and left. It will be a cold day in hell before I'll be back. More short sighted Thai business logic!

Ranger

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mamasans and bar owners don?t give a damn if you walk out and never come back. And it doesn?t matter how good a customer you have been in the past or how much money you have dropped there over the years. I know, it seems a strange way to run a business, but it?s the Thai way.

Midnight changed owners about a year ago and most of the girls working there at the time quit following the change. New mamasan also, although if none of these changes would have taken place I doubt you would have received any better treatment.

ST

Ah, change of owners ... that's why the bar is so different. A few years back, it was one of the best on SC. Now it seems to have hired a new assortment of little fatties. :(

p.s. Years ago I crossed a Patpong bar off of my list after a fat bitchy mamasan spotted me with one of their dancers after the bar had closed. She ran up to me and demanded I pay the bar fine. Uh ... BF when the bar is already closed and the dancer was signed out and on her way home? I happened to meet her too, it wasn't an intentional plan to avoid a BF. Never again went near that bar again. The BG looked rather embarassed by it too.

it's true, the whole "you've lost my business" thing just gets you a yawn from thais. pretty much nothing we think about in the west as good principles of business or service exists in thailand: "the customer's always right"? don't think so. "business is slow...lower your prices?" nope, raise 'em. etc.

it gets frustrating sometimes, but it's just thai logic.

preahko

Just a stupid question:

Isn't it that many bar owners are not Thai? Didn't many bar owners invent the idea to fine the girls if they are seen after closing with a customer and no barfine paid?

My idea is that this is about make the punters part with their money.

I used to luv the buzz and the vibes of Midnite, lots of fun and games, well that's well over a year now that it was like that, but now I couldn't care if the Soi opened up and swallowed it...once the girls think that grabbing a ping-pong is more valuable than grabbing a punter with a fat wallet, then I'm outa there!

And on top of all that, Midnite, Spice Girls and Deja Vu, all owned by the same guy, were the only bars closed and tarped off today for the Songkran festivities. Too bad. Previous years, it was mucho fun hanging outside there.

And I always buy drinks, for me and the gals. I was on the soi for about 2.5 hours today and spent B1100. Tony's Bar got it this year, instead of Midnite. Some of the Midnite gals were on the street playing Songkran, but with nothing nice to say about the boss for this! What a weenie!

DSCF0314.jpg

DSCF0272.jpg

Cheers,

SD

PS - My bad. Our Place was closed too. :( But it was not tarped off to keep the water away like a little baby would do.

I can't say I've noticed any particular aura of customer friendliness coming from any of the farang owned bars I've been draged around to by certain unnamed but generally esteamed members of this board.

"Yes sir; we are so sorry sir! Thank you so much for pointing it out to us, sir. We will take immediate steps, sir. Will you accept a free drink with our apologies, sir?"

Nope.

Archived