Would never thought this might happen

NongSung

As you might know (or not) a couple of months before my Thai wife was tested HIV positive. Although it was a huge shock we continued the relationship and we prepared ourselves for the (uncertain) future.

So I was devastated when my wife told me last night she met someone else and could not decide to choose for him or me.

This is going on for more than three months (while I was unaware) and because I believe you should be open towards eachother I can't live with that. She also confessed something else I would rather not like to share on this board, but believe me THAT damaged our relationship beyond repair.

So I quit, even after 7 years, it's the only step I can make at the moment.

Since I'm taking decisions fast (I trust my feelings) I'll move over to Thailand next week to straighten up my head. Just for 3 months, maybe even longer. As soon as I have everything back on the rail again I'll probably move back to Europe, because that's where the money is.

I have enough money to survive for at least a year or two, but (and now comes my question) I'll be not insured for any medical bills. My belgium insurance does not cover Thailand...

So can you enlighten me about a way to get proper insurance for 3, 6 or 12 months??

Thanx in advance,

NongSung

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: NongSung ]

Can not give much advise on which insurance company is the best, I know BUPA is quite expensive for what it covers though, because I looked at their brochure.(certainly when compared with the cheap Belgian insurance rates). The most interesting thing about these 'American' insurances is that they have a ceiling, which usually is very low. What I mean is, I think most European insurances (at least in Belgium and the Netherlands, I am sure of that) have an (almost) unlimited ceiling. That is if you have to stay in ICU or so for a long time or have major surgery it will be all covered. American insurances and certainly not BUPA from what I read, do not cover above a certain amount. So they are not really worthwhile if you can cover small expenses yourself. I always think of insurance as something for unforeseen events costing a lot. These insurances are more for when you have to go to the dr. for a flu etc. You should check (if you did not do it) if your Belgian insurance can be converted into something more 'international'. I could do that 15 years ago with my insurance in Holland and I am still using it that way. By the way, medical costs in Thailand are low, but of course one never knows.

bar prices etc.

NongSung,

I heard about Blue cross in Thailand, read good reviews. Note that in Belgium if you are insuranced for travel with Europ Assistance or Mondial Assistance you have a 3 months cover.

Some "Mutuelle/ziekenkas" also provide a travel insurance. I was unfortunate enough to need such help in Thailand and they were perfect with their service.

There are formulas available to extent that period (at a cost) you should compare this with Blue Cross.

Chok dee, Thalenoi

[ July 02, 2001: Message edited by: thalenoi ]

quote:

Originally posted by boemba:

I know BUPA is quite expensive for what it covers though, because I looked at their brochure.(certainly when compared with the cheap Belgian insurance rates). The most interesting thing about these 'American' insurances is that they have a ceiling, which usually is very low.
[/url]

BUPA is not 'American' it is British.

British United Provident Association

And I have used Blue Cross in Thailand for the last 2 years, excellent service and a great choice of hospitals. The ceiling gets higher in relation to how much your yearly premium is, same with most insurance.

There web site is at: http://www.bupathailand.com/

Cheers

Roger

[ July 02, 2001: Message edited by: Roger ]

Does anyone have info on AIA's medical insurance? My employer provides BUPA Blue Cross but with only limited coverage and I am looking to purchasr my own health plan.

Many thanks

Arai wa

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

I have a BUPA insurance and yes there is a ceiling on the amount they cover, however they still pay 80% of the costs above this amount (depends on your plan I think, I have the emarald plan).

Sanuk!

I had a look at the website. It indeed stated the 80% coverage of costs. At the same time, it stated (for Emerald plan) maximum amount payable under the scheme is 500,000 baht. Rather confusing, typical for an insurance company. If 500,000 is indeed a ceiling it is very low. I will try to clarify the issue by sending them an e-mail.(however they do not allow enough space on their question form to put a decent question)

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: boemba ]

• 1 month later...

Man, dont bother trying to get too much logical information from BUPA online, I spent 3 weeks faxing back and forth and chatting with susan, their english speaking rep (who was mainland chinese with Permanent residency) to rewrite the clauses on vehicle accidents, primarily motorbikes. The only way to be 100% sure of what you are getting is to go to an office like RS tower in ratchadapisek, where Viraya is, and read through the entire policy.

I ended up rewriting the section for them as their original policy would only cover 50% in the case of a bike accident, totally useless to any rider.

I dont know if they incorporated it into the main policy or just for my policy but I would suggest anyone riding a bike who wants insurance make sure you get the full coverage clause on accidents.

Archived