Re the New Airport Opening August !!!

keith doug

Depends on what you mean by "open".

Yes it will almost certianky open this year, ie they will have some sort of official cermony with Royality etc but that does not mean it will be actually open for international travellers.

Expect many more months of "testing".

But when it does actually start taking international arrivals of course it will be a fucking disaster at first. This is Thailand after all. Expect lost loggage, lack of information, taxis not sure of the way etc etc etc....

However the epxress train (assuming it gets finished) should make the journey into Bangkok easy.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually airport opened on time last year. One airplane with Thaksin and one with journalists landed there.

Thai government has declared it will be opened for commercial traffic in the end of june, many say it will be in next year, I guess that maybe, maybe on the birthday of HM the King in december.

Don Muang will maybe be rented by USAF.

elef said:

Actually airport opened on time last year. One airplane with Thaksin and one with journalists landed there.

Thai government has declared it will be opened for commercial traffic in the end of june, many say it will be in next year, I guess that maybe, maybe on the birthday of HM the King in december.

Don Muang will maybe be rented by USAF.

i read somewhere a while ago that Don Muang will be used by discount airlines.

Who knows TIT... Airport authority wants to move all flights also low-price carriers and cargo to the new airport. Remember that Don Muang is owned by thai air force (RTAF) and they're not leaving it. So my guess is that it just will be used by RTAF and USAF.

and others they Don Muang will be another (after Impact, BITEC, Sirikit Convention Centre etc.etc.) area for exhibitions and trade shows.

and i agree with the MadStockBroker; i will try not to fly in or fly out of Suvanaphumi during first 2 weeks of its opening (which is difficult as i fly in or out from Don Muang around 2-4 times monthly)

elef said:

Who knows TIT... Airport authority wants to move all flights also low-price carriers and cargo to the new airport. Remember that Don Muang is owned by thai air force (RTAF) and they're not leaving it. So my guess is that it just will be used by RTAF and USAF.

As a transit point, I doubt the USAF or USN would have much need to use Don Muang. There are a lot of U.S. unit patches in the civilian passenger terminal at Utapao and the B-52 size hangar on the east side of the runway there looks to be well kept up. A lot few prying eyes there than in the northern suburbs of Bangkok.

Archived