Re the New Airport Opening August !!!

keith doug

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kamui said:If I remember right, EVERY opening of a major airport started with major problems with luggage transport.

to take some neighbour countries as examples, Hongkong and Kuala Lumpur had big problems, while Seoul Incheon opened very smooth!

samak said:
kamui said:If I remember right, EVERY opening of a major airport started with major problems with luggage transport.

while Seoul Incheon opened very smooth!

as you know LOS much better than me, I presume that you expect the same with the new airport as well, right?

::

glyn said:

so, possibly, for my next trip to thailand at christmas, airline schedules show flights to don muang, but could it be changed at a later date to the new airport i wonder.

would be nice to come into the new airport if i am travelling to pattaya :)

They don't have to shange the schedules - BKK today stands for Don Muang but will at the opening day be transfered to the new airport.

From the Bangkok Post Sunday May 21, 2006

Certificate for new airport sought by AoT

International security permit also needed

The Airports of Thailand (AoT) has sought a certificate for the operation of Suvarnabhumi airport from the Department of Aviation. AoT president Chotisak Asapaviriya said all the required documents had been submitted and the certificate was likely to be issued by July 5.

The department would also make a site inspection of the airport on June 15-28.

Mr Chotisak said that after the certificate is obtained, the AoT would notify the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) which would then inform airlines worldwide.

The ICAO is required to inform airlines at least 56 days ahead of the new airport's opening under international aviation regulations.

These crucial steps must be followed before the airport can be inaugurated commercially. Security certification from the international aviation body is also needed, and that process could take six months.

The AoT president said it was unclear when the airport would officially come into operation, although he insisted it would open before the end of the year.

The airport's opening has been moved back several times and its latest inauguration tentatively set for August.

The global civil aviation body said the airport needs an international certification for its security systems before the opening, a process that can take up to six months.

''We are waiting for the security systems certificate to be issued by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO),'' said Chitvee Leelasiri, country manager for the International Air Transport Association (IATA), which represents 270 airlines.

Mr Chotisak said the AoT will start deploying 2,882 airport ground staff at Suvarnabhumi from next month so that they can familiarise themselves with the working environment, helping smoothen the transition.

They require 6 months to have security certification from ICAO and it can be longer if they found security flaws like crack runaways so I will no be suprise to land at Don Muang for my next trip in February 2007.

Archived