LaoHuLi (Frank) Sunday: good news

dddave

Over the last three days, Frank has made an unexpected and dramatic improvement to the point when I last saw him Saturday night, he was breathing on his own and bitching about being hungry.

He is not out of the woods by any stretch, he has an irregular heartbeat, emphasema and a serious bedsore complicated by his diabites. The Dr's are talking about a hospitalized convalesence of 30 days, but the money will run out long before then so his friends in Phnom Phen are scrambling to come up with a plan.

Everybody knows that he will have to return to Canada when he is able to travel, at least two months. He will get govt. financed healthcare there and his brother has a room for him, but it will probably take a small army to stuff him on the plane and strap him down; his gratitude will be limited.

Ed, Franks friend and the propriator of the new HOOTERS BAR on 174 just down from Walkabout has been fantastic, he gave Frank a room when Flamingos tossed him, took him on at the bar and made him feel useful. It was Ed who got Frank to the Hospital, it was Ed who made all the arrangements and set-up round the clock care and it was Ed, and still is Ed doing the bulk of the work, caring for Frank. Stop into HOOTERS and buy a drink or three next time you're in P.P.

BY the way, a correction is due: Flamingos contributed $20 to Franks care, not the $15 I earlier reported; my error that their munificence was under-stated.

Once again, thanks to all who supported and continue to support this effort. Once I get organized, thanks and an accounting will go out to all. You're a great bunch of guys.

Though more than $3000 has been raised, the $300+ p/d hospital tab will suck it all up within six more days. We will get him into a cheaper room asap, but we are still trying to come up with a plan for what to do next.

dddave said:...and a serious bedsore complicated by his diabites....

Some of those bedsores can take months to heal, and longer with diabetes. There is a vacuum pump available to reduce the healing time: it maintains a negative pressure on the sore without bandages and the discharge from the sore is collected in cannisters attached to the the pump. My wife had to use one when she had a bad case of bedsore following an operation. It took her about six months to heal even with the vacuum setup. And the pump cost about $5000/month to rent (US), I believe.

Archived