Nana Pickpocket Warning

StoneSoup

Maybe I'm the odd one out here but I kind of like them. The couple of girls that do the flowers around Soi 7 1/2 are always good for some amusement. I sometimes give them B20, sometimes buy flower but sometimes I buy them a feed so at least I know they're eating. I figure the safest way to be with these kids is to have some fun with them. I think your less likely to be a target with these kids by doing something for them. I'm not going to pass moral judgememnt on them as I've never walked in their shoes.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

p.s. Years ago, I ran into a woman begging with her two children. The woman looked a bit on the retarded side and all three were dressed more or less in rags. Rather than hand the woman money, I sat them down at a pavement vendor and ordered them a meal and paid for it. All three hungrily dug in and the mother gave me a big WAI. At least that way I knew the money was doing some good, not being passed on to a loafer "husband" or going for drugs.

Flash,

I've done this with the flower girls and the -lighter/ciggies/ whatever they are selling - boys at Nana and other places myself. I doubt they are fed well by their 'handlers', and only a couple have ever refused a drink of milk or orange juice, or some foods when offered. I don't give money to them. Although I have on a couple drunken ocassions bought all the damned flowers/roses from one and given them to every girl in the bars/plaza it seemed. :-) And I have bought food at times for the girls (especially in favored bars in the afternoons or early evening) just giving some baht to one lady and sending her out to buy food for all the bargirls. They eat for free, save their baht, and don't bug you for colas and tips either afterwards. :-) And it is cheap to do. So why not when you are flush? :: Certainly gets you seen as Jai Dee and treated nice by most who benefit from these little gestures. Good on you for that. Maybe some see us as fools with too much money to throw around, but most will possibly see us as nice fools at least. Thais do understand making merit and doing good deeds I have seen. I imagine the meals you bought them cost less than 100 baht. Worth the money.

I know how/why some can find the kids to be a pain in the ass. They are persistent little buggers at times, and I do watch my wallet/money around them. :) It's the Fagans running them I truly despise.

Cent

Look past the current meal and merit for the day. Giving them anything denies them the chance of returning to where they came from, denies them the chance of getting an education, and denies them the opportinity to live a normal childhood. Just like elephants, I also find running across these flower kids a quaint experience, but this isn't where they belong. They will stay in this terrible existence we have pity on only as long as the "jai dee" people keep giving to them.

The harsh reality is Neo that it won't be long before most of them aren't selling flowers anymore, these words from many freelancers not mine. Most of them end up on the game. Hard to expect anything different.

" Giving them anything denies them the chance of returning to where they came from, denies them the chance of getting an education, and

denies them the opportinity to live a normal childhood."

Like they had one anyway

bust1 said:

Not always........They are learning quickly that they have to account for every rose but it you just give them B20 it usually stays in their pocket.

Are you that out of touch? Those kids are being watched and if they try to withhold ANY baht they will get a beating.

Archived