Nana Pickpocket Warning

StoneSoup

Hey SD...............Busty???????????????

Any way does this not fit into your "I am sick of all the whiners" post. If I am in a thirld world country I know that I am always a target being a foreigner. Common sense will always prevail. Don't suppose anyone else has witnessed the gypsies in Barcelona or the kids around the Spanish Steps in Rome. Now there you will find some smooth operators.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...To me, the solution is to pay the coppers a living wage so they do not need to take bribes, then enforce the rule against those who do. Most of the coppers I meet here are good guys who want to be good cops, but have to make shitty choices to feed their family (i.e., ignore crimes that have victims who a] can afford it and b] are not harmed physically)..."

The same excuse has been used for Bar girls. Cops in the west get good salaries, and many are still on the take. I think cops, in LOS with decent salaries would still be greedy and take more. Much the way bar girls with sponsors still want more...and keep on the game...all whores of one sort or another...

Gringo...I don't think the thieving katoeys are completely given a pass in the NEP area. Was in the Nana parking lot one night (ok, morning) and had a Thai plainclothes cop caution me to watch my wallet. He then nodded/noted toward the katoeys in the area who he seemed to be watching closely.

SD...paying the cops a "living wage" may offer some relief to all. I recall a rural policeman lamenting that he had to find his own transportation and pay for his own food and lodging if he had to go to another province to follow up on a lead or pursue an investigation. He explained that this was why cops in Thailand might not take much interest in a criminal matter unless the victim is able/willing to fund the investigation. (Of course, no excuse for lack of action within a city like BKK or Pattaya where a single venue(s) is involved and the culprits known.)

OH...yep, bribery/corruption is much more ingrained in SEA than in most "western" countries and likely to be almost impossible to rein-in, much less eradicate. If the Thai citizenry accepts it (no matter how much they dislike it), not much outsiders will be able to do about it. Any bets that there is no such thing as an "Internal Affairs" division within the Thai police? LOL !

HH

Hugh_Hoy said:

Any bets that there is no such thing as an "Internal Affairs" division within the Thai police?

Actually there is, but the meaning is a bit different in thai. It is the place where they discuss compensation packages: what percentage of the bribe goes to the colonel (after all, he has a lifestyle and the junior wife to entertain), the captain and the footsoldiers.

Nice to see you here HH - starting out as a newbie here ;-)

bust1 said:

Hey SD...............Busty???????????????

Well, next time do not wear a Wonderbra LOL! :clown:

bust1 said:

Any way does this not fit into your "I am sick of all the whiners" post. If I am in a thirld world country I know that I am always a target being a foreigner. Common sense will always prevail.

Does not fit into a whinge at all. This is a post about a specific incident and a warning to anyone there, i.e., constructive critism that can help someone. The whinging posts read more like "wah, this can only happen in Thailand because all Thais are evil thieves and want to murder me because I am a farang."

Big difference indeed, na?

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:

I think we are back to the fact that normal patrolmen get maybe ~B7K/mo and need the tea money to simply pay the bills. So if there is no high profile complaints (e.g., the Kiwi death in Pattaya), this will just keep on keeping on since the "Fagins" obviously pay enough to keep the low level MiB away.

Cheers,

SD

I know a few rice farmers who can not count on tea money to pay their bills, they can't stop cars or motorbikes ya know....

am I whining now? :neener:

suadum said:

Does not fit into a whinge at all. This is a post about a specific incident and a warning to anyone there, i.e., constructive critism that can help someone. The whinging posts read more like "wah, this can only happen in Thailand because all Thais are evil thieves and want to murder me because I am a farang.

Cheers,SD

Agree SD but I was OK with OP

Bloody hell Old hippy your a real hard man slapping kids!

What do you do for an oncore, throw babies out of prams!?

These kids work to stay alive whether its for an old hag who hangs out around the corner or for the Tuk TUK driver it does not matter. If They dont work, they starve or have to prostitute themselves. Just take heed when they are around watch your wallet. There is a lot of oportunists out there.

These kids are from Cambodia, Laos, where good ole USA bombed the shit out of them when they werent even in the war. Land mines from China Russa and USA litter the whole country side ( alot with Motorola parts). Thousands of kids have been maimed. Burma people and associated tribes are being slowly starved and forced out of there homelands, yet no action from our so called world police the good ole USA and also the rest of the world .... why no bloody oil!

Why not instead of bashing one of these kids grab your wallet hense she can not get it, and give her/him 20 baht , 50 cents USD. Problem solved

Archived