Saudi Arabia to Welcome Tourists

khwaimaisabai

New Saudi push to woo tourists

Published: 7th May 2006

DUBAI: For the first time, Saudi Arabia is looking to encourage non-Muslim tourists.

"We promise you an experience that will hit your soul, mind and spirit ... (with) lots of nightlife," Prince Sultan bin Salman, who heads the kingdom's Supreme Commission for Tourism, said in Dubai at the opening of a tourism promotion expo.

"We have nothing to hide, we will open up so the world can see," he said, emphasising that the term 'nightlife' for Saudis tends to mean wholesome family activities.

Saudis are known for their love of night-time picnics during which they smoke water-pipes and consume large quantities of bitter coffee and tea.

Prince Sultan promised visas in 24 hours and even upon arrival for some nationals.

The kingdom, which joined the World Trade Organisation in December and has a significant youthful population eager to embrace globalisation, wants to open up to tourists, especially non-Muslims, while at the same time retaining its Islamic values and traditions.

Prince Sultan said the kingdom wants to attract 1.5 million tourists a year by 2020, excluding the millions of Muslims that flock to the kingdom for the Haj.

He spoke of the ambitious goal of making tourism account for 18 per cent of the gross domestic product by 2020.

Saudi Arabia previously announced plans to spend billions on beefing up its tourism infrastructure and to break up the monopoly held by the state-owned carrier Saudi Arabian Airlines on domestic travel.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=142919&Sn=WORL&IssueID=29048

khwaimaisabai said:

"We promise you an experience that will hit your soul, mind and spirit ... (with) lots of nightlife,"

"emphasising that the term 'nightlife' for Saudis tends to mean wholesome family activities.

I don't think that they will be overrun by tourists in the near future. ::

Saudi Men already have the yellow fever!!! They just can't have it in their country, so they travel to Bahrain or Dubai on the weekends and have access to all the Thai and Filipina girls they could want.

I can't see Saudi Arabia as being a new hot spot for tourism.

For the six months I spent in Bahrain, all the Saudi's I ran into were Arrogant pricks who thought they ruled the world.

But maybe they do, they have all the oil and money they need. And the protection from all foreign enemies provided by big brother Uncle Sam. Who Knows

Last place on earth I would go.. Basically all the things I like to do on holiday will get me flogged/beheaded. In fact, even being an Atheist will drop me in the shit there.

Think I'll give it a miss.

• 1 month later...

Archived