Censorship in Thailand

itsmedave

Concerned citizens...

An unfortunate ruling has just been handed down by the Thai Censorship board that will affect our freedom and the reputation of Thailand across the world. The Thai Censorship board is run by the Royal Thai ;olice and can be contacted via the internet.

A group of "Christians" has petitioned the board to ban the movie "The Davinci Code" from being shown in Thailand. I putr the quotes around "Christians", because we all understand that he bible states that God wants people to have free will to choose for themselves how to live their lives. But there are always some holier than thou types out there who want to inflict their values on everybody else.

So this small group met with the Censorship board yesterday and the decision was this: They would cut the final 10 minutes from the movie before it is allowed to be shown in Thailand, they would write a special message in Thai at the beginning of the film to inform Thais that the movie is fiction, and they would allow the "Christians" to select scriptures to place at the beginning and end of the film on the screen.

According to the NAtion and Bangkok Post, similiar groups have tried this in India and the Philippines but ONLY Thailand has decided to treat its citizens like children who cannot be trusted to watch a movie without governmental supervision. (The Malaysian faction of this group didn't even believe it was a problem and disagreed with the censorship efforts of these groups) This makes Thailand look like the worst type of banana republic and will harm its reputation around the world.

I have already writen to the Thai Police and hope you will join me in fighting for the rights and freedoms of This citizens and residents everywhere.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<<This makes Thailand look like the worst type of banana republic and will harm its reputation around the world.>>

I very much doubt outside Thai enthusiast groups such as this nobody in the outside world will either know or care about Thailand banning this or that :: ..... the wholesale slaughter of approx 4000 citizens on the streets of Thailand just about made the papers here on the 5th page.....the Tsunami of course got major attention, but a few Christian cranks getting uppity and their way in LOS will just not be noteworthy at all anywhere!

You're kidding right? A lot of Christians around the world find the movie very offensive. Whether they should or not is another matter. The main hypothesis of the book seems to be that Christ and Mary Magdalen had a child. Or could have had a child. Plus the usual Catholic Church is evil stuff. Controversy hyped up to make money.

I don't suppose many Thais give a toss.

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

Didn't Singapore do something similar?

And isn't it rather pathetic that these people complain that a fictional story (and that is exactly how I see the bible) is not told exactly as it is in its original form.

Sanuk!

Well that's the whole point. The people who are complaining don't see the bible as fiction.

The whole thing is pathetic if you ask me. It's just a movie. The reaction from some quarters was predictable. The movie-makers knew a lot of Christians would be pissed off. And of course if they didn't piss a bunch of people off then nobody would have heard of it and they wouldn't sell much popcorn.

I doubt if I'll go to see it. The hype turns me off. If I did then the only way I can judge it would be as entertainment....good or bad.

I wonder where the ratbag fundementalists stand on this, on one hand they would love seeing the Catholics get some stick but on the other wouldn't like the idea of Christ pumping out kids. But then some of those TV hot gospellers might claim direct descent. "This marning Gard spoke to me in the bathroom, he said- Grandbaby........"

Just encouraging piracy is the way I see this decision (Christians censoring the film). People will just opt to buy it at Silom, Pantip, Saphan Lek, or wherever they prefer to go on copied DVD, rather than see the hacked up theatrical version :dunno:

I was surprised the Philippines didn't do the same given the rabid Catholic contingent down that way, but whatever, Thailand has been hacking up films for years. To me the stupidest part is to release a movie missing the last 10 minutes??!! That's just retarded as that is resolution of the film not an errant tit or cock flashed on screen.

Dumb, but the only difference is that they don't usually let Christians wield the cutter as censors. F*@#( censorship :cussing: and the MICT for blocking websites.

Cheers,

the numbers

Interesting question Julian. I typed 'da vinci code falwell' into google and got this...

" Geraldo then asked Jerry Falwell if The Da Vinci Code was "attacking the character of Jesus Christ?" Falwell?s answer was intriguing: "Well, if it says that Jesus had a relationship with a prostitute, I think that?s a pretty serious attack on Jesus Christ?" Except that one of the very few things Brown is correct about is that Mary Magdalene was probably not a prostitute. Besides, the novel states they were married. And so, not surprisingly, the more vital issue of Jesus? marriage to the Church and the meaning of celibacy was passed over (I know, I know?it?s Geraldo, not Charlie Rose)."

http://tinyurl.com/zue26

and Pat Robertson...

http://tinyurl.com/ea5y8

There seems to be some confusion out there.

:)

Hi,

This issue about Jesus being married is actually kinda funny as the book I am reading now ('The Black Rood' by Stephen R. Lawhead, part of the 'The Celtic Crusades' series) mentiones the same thing.

Coincidently I read last night in that book about a Black Madonna in a small church in Marseille which supposedly depicted Mary Magdalena and her son, the son of Jesus. An explanation was even given as to why they were settled in Marseille.

This book is from 2000 btw, not sure if this is before or after the Da Vince Code was written.

Sanuk!

Archived