Censorship in Thailand

itsmedave

All I can think given how crap the book was it is for the better!

That said the book was successful as people believed it was based upon fact rather than a run of the mill fiction (ie made up) story.

Hence banning it will have the opposite effect the idiot christians here want, it will make people think it must be real.

I note the only church listed in those commenting who actually get of their arse and do something for the poor said a "Warning" at the beggining pointing out it was fiction was all they wanted.

Sensible reaction from sensible people

DOG - not Catholic but respecting anyone how gives unconditionally to the poor

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think it's all a load of bollocks...............

the Catholic Church (along with other Religions) has brainwashed their People for centuries.

i would imagine 99.9% of Catholics will believe and follow whatever they are told.

i have no interest in the Da Vinci book or film.but is it fact or fiction?........i don't know and nobody else knows.

but is the Bible fact or fiction?...........again no-one knows.

if the Bible is a work of fiction then the Da Vinci book is a crock of shit.

but if the Bible IS a work of non-fiction then the Da Vinci book 'might' have some some basis of truth.

i think it's just sad that Governments have to warn their People that something they are about to watch is 'not real'.

but i also find strange that a story about the Christian Religion is upsetting so many other Religions.

why are Buddists and Muslims so uptight about it?.

khunsanuk said:

Coincidently I read last night in that book about a Black Madonna in a small church in Marseille which supposedly depicted Mary Magdalena and her son, the son of Jesus. An explanation was even given as to why they were settled in Marseille.

Sanuk!

Sorry KS. You are getting your "mary's" mixed up. "Madonna" refers specifically to the "Virgin Mary" (jesus' mother), and so the child would be jesus....Mary Magdalena would never be referred to as a "Madonna"...

this link may shed some light on "Black Madonna's"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Madonna

-j-

Real or not real isn't really the point. The question is: do we allow a small group of extremists to dictate how we spend our leisure time?

Love, hate, or care less about this particular film, but if allow this precedent to be set than these nutcases will next go after music, Harry Potter, God only knows?

The scary part is that most of us moderate types who believe in individual choice cannot be bothered to go out and picket...BUT the few extremists live for this stuff. So if you have 30 loudmouths and 1 million silently disagreeing...the 30 win.

One bit of good news...I have gotten a former Thai ambassador to write letters to the editor of several newspapers claiming that censoring the film is "none of our business"

Columbia Pictures has appealed the decision and the police have gone back to reconsider. If some of you have also written to the police than perhaps our voices can be louder than the extremists for once.

Keep the faith!

Since when is Thailand a catholic ran country???

And A lot of Christians around the world find the movie very offensive???? Don't get me started on this please....

Maybe the Thai Censhorship board should learn from the catholic censhorship of what they did to the city of Beziers, France on 22 July 1209: to eliminate 200 cathar heretics the Albigensian Crusader army ordered by pope Innocentus III :

The crusading army sacked and looted the town indiscriminately, while townspeople retreated to the sanctuary of the churches. The Cistercian abbot-commander is said to have been asked how to tell Cathar from Catholic. His reply, recorded later by a fellow Cistercian, demonstrated his faith: "Kill them all - the Lord will recognise His own". The Roman Church has recently taken to disowning these words, but they are reliable. Not only were they recorded by a sympathetic fellow churchman, but they also accord with other sources. The Song of the Cathar Wars , sympathetic to the crusaders at this stage [laisse 21] records that the French crusaders explicitly planned to adopt a popular terrorist tactic of indiscriminate massacre (one often used by the Roman Church against those they regarded as infidels)

Elsewhere many more thousands were mutilated and killed. Prisoners were blinded, dragged behind horses, and used for target practice The town was razed. Arnaud, the abbot-commander, wrote to his master the Pope: "Today your Holiness, twenty thousand citizens were put to the sword, regardless of rank, age, or sex". Reportedly, not a single person survived, not even a new born baby.

source: http://www.languedoc-france.info/120701_beziers.htm

Archived