Travel safety tips

khunsanuk

I think that most of the USA stats are close on big crimes like murder ,

But I doubt they are true for robberies , assualts, car theft etc , which do not get reported as much as they occur :( ,

The USA cops are pretty worthless when it comes to smaller crimes , many times they will not even take an official report, and when they do you feel like a criminal after they are thru with you .....

So if I crime is not reported did it really happen ?

Not in the official crime stats !

OC

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gadfly1 said:

Murder rates in places like Thailand are probably the best measure of violence since it is much harder to cover up a murder.

More likely it is your metric because it is the only crime stat that backs up your suppositions. :neener::stirthepo

Why don't we stop with your last post (for this thread) and leave it to others - after they've had a chance to review the links in the posts above, if they so desire - to decide for themselves?

Ok so the daily murder rate for US is 6.1, 14 for LOS & I bet hopefully lower in some european or even asian countries than US?

Actually is this in total for the countries or per xxx people?

If per country then it should be divided by capita & thus the thai one would be even higher :(

There is plenty of debate on how dangerous Thailand is on this board, but if anyone is curious they can directly access and compare homicides rates compiled by Thai and US government sources. snip. For specific examples of this, peruse the news section here for a few days. You will see all sorts of stories about Farangs flying off condo balconies in Pattaya. snip. And then draw your own conclusions about how dangerous Thailand really is and what sort of safety measures you think are appropriate.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Between Stickman, this board and some of the stuff that makes the news over here, it sounds like it is getting quite dangerous in Pattaya and Thailand generally. I see this board (and others) as a useful resource when planning long weekend trips. I suspect others use this board for that same purpose. while there is alot of heated debate about side issues, no one seems to be disputing the high level of violence. Instead, I see alot of arguments here about whether a visitor deserved what he got and posters getting called "whiners" for posting a link to a dubious Farang suicide. From a purely practical point of view as a visitor, that doesn't exactly make me feel any more comfortable visiting Thailand.

The new section here is amazing. It sounds as though Farangs are constantly flying off balconies.

• 8 months later...

I stand corrected I must have been looking at the wrong data. Regardless, Thailand's rate is certainly not in the alarming zone, in my view. You would have a much, much higher chance of getting killed by motorcyle or car wreck. So if people are really worried I'd worry more about that than I would getting snuffed.

Archived