US Troops Deserting

candyfloss

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<<Of course I know that you hate us Swedes >>

.....and as it happens i like abba, Roxette, Sven, Bjorn Borg, Urika Johnson, Brit Ekland...Dolph Lundgren was bit of a weirdo (and he killed Appolo Creed too the nasty villain!) though, but i wouldn't say that to his face. But I doubt he sits behind a monitor salavating over GWB getting all angry ::

chuckwoww said:
chuck6660 said:
chuckwoww said:

Not quite. I agree they should face the consequences and not run to Canada or anywhere else. But the point remains...it wasn't until they got to Iraq that they realized what they were supposed to do. Some soldiers obviously have no problem killing women & kids in cold blood but some of them do.

Wow Chuck!

I don't know about you, but I didn't see women and children being killed in cold blood.

I am not naive enough to think it could not happen...but it is outrageous to state that most soldiers "have no problem killing in cold blood." What do you base this opinion on?

If the accusations of killings in Haditha are true...that is murder and the Marines who allegdedly did the killing are murderers and should be treated as such!

I am talking about random killing of women and children by US troops in cold blood in Iraq and I didn't see it either. But I believe it happens. And I said SOME SOLDIERS not MOST. If you are going to discuss this with me please read my post before responding.

My apologies, I re-read your post. When you said "some of them do" I ASSUMED you also meant "most of them don't" have a problem killing women & kids in cold blood.

You know what happens when you assume!! :doah:

Yeah well maybe I should have been clearer. Obviously I think it's only a few who could do things like that. Even if they were all riled up they would still need a green light from an officer or NCO.

I do think there is a attitude among US forces that the Iraqis are somehow second class humans. Dehumanizing the enemy may even be a necessary part of combat. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I've got some WWII military pamphlets that were issued to my dad which were clearly aimed at doing just that. The very obvious aim was to try to persuade the GI's that the Axis troops were less than human so that the GIs could get over their natural distaste for killing anyone.

You are correct, you kill the faceless enemy...not an individual.

I also agree that Iraqi's are looked down-on by US troops...same as in most wars Viet Nam, Korea, etc... I think it generates from ethnic differences (same as some posters on this board toward Thais) and the sense that "I had to come here because you couldn't fix your own mess."

The military is also doing many good things in Iraq, unfortunately, only the negative, sensational events get the headlines.

Is this attitude part of basic training? Where does it come from? I know there is a whole psychological aspect to preparing men to kill.

I wonder if it isn't a bit like being part of a gang where only fellow gang members matter and you don't rat on the gang....stuff like that.

A lot depends on the individual. We had some gung ho morons who enlisted apparently because they WANTED to kill someone. But they were the minority.

Actually during my basic training -- and even now to some degree -- I only wanted to KILL MY OWN SUNAFABITCHING DRILL SERGEANTS! I still despise the sadistic morons.

:cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

p.s. The professional Army cadre during the VN War were stretched very thin, so all sorts of punks got to be drill sergeants and drill corporals. Several of them admited to me that they were doing it because it kept them from having to go to RVN. Everyone of them in my BCT company was a school drop out, several with just a 9th grade education. We had drill corporals with a whole 6 months in the Army and drill sergeants with maybe 12 months. The career NCOs I met in RVN, on the other hand, were generally very competent pros. (It was the LTs that were hopeless boobs ...)

I guess that's how it is. I read an interview with some US snipers in Iraq...they thought killing was the coolest thing. But it must be quite hard to get the average guy hyped up.

I actually find the insurgents/jihadis easier to understand. They're only doing what people do when their country is invaded.

Archived