Buying a Tuk-Tuk . . .

unit731

I could have posted this under transportation but it is more about family life in Thailand.

Has anyone ever thought about purchasing a Tuk-Tuk for basic family transportation. This would only be used in Pattaya with no long trips. Just about town. And does anyone own one?

The worst of a motorcycle combined with the worst of a car.

1) Lack of maneuverability

2) Exposure to rain, heat, and fumes

3) Lack of safety (get ejected from vehicle in a accident)

4) Takes the same amount of space to park as a car

5) A farang looks silly in one :neener:

I have seen two prvate TukTuks, ie not hotel ones but home ones.

One in Pattaya, the other was in NongKai, they had the top as a convertable, was quite funny.

They are more manourerable than a car, great for big shopping days, smaller space, cost a LOT less, well under 80 000 depending on your options

DOG

According to my little policeman?s handbook a Foreigner cannot own or be licensed to drive a three wheeled vehicle (i.e. Tuk Tuk). Saying that my business associate has one but we use it as a run around at Bira Circuit. This particular Tuk Tuk actually made the cover of UK Fast bikes Magazine a couple of years ago. It doesn?t get a lot of use and I have a spare Honda Blackbird motor at my shop. That?s 1100 cc and about 150 Hp, so just eyeing up the potential of that mated to the Tuk Tuk. While it will change the sound the Tuk Tuk makes it should pep up the performance a little

I bought one here in san diego some years ago when general dynamics plant closed down, they had several ( hundai brand) used as warehouse parts transport.-

had some fun with it and sold it.

Archived