Pattaya is like..

Coss

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The New Las Vegas is no longer promoting itself for familes but as an ADULT PLAYGROUND. They found out the familes spend much less money but require MORE facilities.

I think the Thais have found out that the cheap package Chinese tours is a high volume LOW profit sector.

I hope they realize this. Think about it, your average family of 4 is going to come to town and share a hotel room. While the hotel may be able to add a small charge for the additional person(s) in the room, it still dosent compare to the 4 mongers who come to town and rent 4 seperate rooms.

I think the Chinese package tourists and the mongers can co-exist quite well. The Chinese enjoy the boat trips out to the islands and watching decadent Westerners at play. There's even a bit of cross-cultural pollination going on at some of the soi 2 music bars.

It's probably just a question of time before some Chinese guys find their way back minus the family for 'business' trips. A lot already go to Cambodia. :)

Hi!

I think the Chinese package tourists and the mongers can co-exist quite well.

They not only can coexist, They have for the last 15+ years. The difference today is that they have more money than thay had 15 years ago. Chinese tourist always come on Package tours and are screwed over much worse than we Farangs.

regards

ALHOLk

The last couple of posts remind me, back when I was about 18 (twelve years ago)and visiting Kings cross for a week. I was staying at this seedy backpacker hostel in a dorm. There was this young Chinese fella, limited English. For about five days I noticed his comings and goings, arriving back at the dorm around six in the morning, sleeping all day and heading out late evening around six o'clock. Seemed to be a little odd. About two days before myself leaving the X I was walking down the street and was invited into one of the dinjy strip clubs. The deal was to get into the club you had to have a drink so in excange for a reasonable admission fee you recieved a sort of complimentary echo of beer. I waltzed on up, it's about 6:30pm and here's this Chinese fella sitting right up the front, right by the stage, complimentry echo in hand. No big deal. Anyhow I got to chatting to one of the strippers, turned out she was from my state Adelaide, we hit it off but the club was a bore so I left did some clubbing elsewhere and popped back in at about 5 am to catch back up with her. The Chinese fella? well he was still perched on the front row with his untouched flat VB echo still in hand. Thats what his whole time there in the cross had consisted of. Starring at aussie strippers for 10-12 hours straight every night and keeping his complimentry beer nice and warm.

Gotta love 'em.

Fatty...

I'm still asking the question, "how dangerous is it now?"

Between Stickman, this board and some of the stuff that makes the news over here (I'm an expat living in Hong Kong), it sounds like it is getting quite dangerous in Pattaya and Thailand generally. I see this board (and others) as a useful resource when planning long weekend trips. I suspect others use this board for that same purpose. Look at all the posts you see asking about which bars are hot, when bars close, which bars are showing, etc.

However, no one seems to be disputing the high level of violence. And I'm especially concerned about upcoming trips to Pattaya, along with my expat male friends here in Hong Kong. In Pattaya, there is a higher level of drinking and that does not interact particularly well in a violent bar atmospheres that we have consistently been reading about on this board.

We have seen many stories about events here (for example, the Dollhouse incident comes to mind). Perhaps they are all biased, but they are consistent on a few themes. One of those themes is the unpredictability of the bar scene. How events can spiral dramatically from a misunderstanding or little remark into a dangerous and sometimes lethal encounter.

To outsiders, I know Thailand must seem particularly placid and Thais, even in the bars, ever so polite and nice. But notice the number of stories here about violence against Farangs and unbelievable "suicides". And increased press reports of rapes and muders.

I know from personal experience, when visiting from Hong Kong, that events here can change radidly and unpredicatably, and that Farangs often cannot tell when deadly events are unraveling.

Hi!

I have been travelling to Pattaya since 1982 and have never had a problem. Those who claim that the place has become more violent are not wrong because it has. In Stockholm I live in an area with the 2:nd highest number of violent crimes and have never had a problem there. As always if you act like a victim you will eventuall become a victim. If you are street smart you should have no problem in Pattaya.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived