What Thai-Oriented Writings Do You Read?

McBif

I enjoyed the popular post of a month or two back called "What Do You Read?" and would be interested to hear what "Thailand-focused" stuff the members like to read.

I would include fiction, non-fiction, published books, websites, Stickman submissions, stuff on thailandstories.com etc.

In no particular order some picks of mine would be:

TurkFist: His short stories are hardbitten, worldly, lonely, funny... quite a combination. Nice prose style, invents some brilliant metaphors and similes.

Dana: What a guy! If I had 1/10th of his imagination... well, I don't know what I'd do. Hilarious, brutal, writes with maniacal glee. When he's "in the zone" look out!

S.P. Somtow: Anybody read his 1995 novel, "Jasmine Nights"? Writes in English. The novel's narrated by a 12 year-old aristocratic Thai boy living in 1963 Bangkok - a world long gone. The kid's fantasy world is dominated by the ancient Greek and Latin playwrights and poets and he lives surrounded by crazy servants and mysterious relatives and his three older sisters whom he calls "The Three Fates" and who spend all their time learning the latest dance crazes: the Twist, the Mashed Potato, the Limbo. Hilarious, mysterious and brilliant. I've read it three times.

Union Hill: Been around the block a few times. Writes about all kinds of things and observances - friends, tarts, strangers he runs into... A smart cookie.

Cent: His stories about life in Smallsville, L.O.S. are great. Convinced me that if I ever lived in Thailand it certainly wouldn't be in BKK. Sort of the Stephen Leacock of Thailand. An interested and interesting observer of life.

Christopher Moore, Jake Needham, David Young, ChuckWoww... there's a surpising amount of good and entertaing stuff out there. Over to you.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of the above I like david young the best.

I also read a book by a ex prime minister now dead, Khun Krutikit I think.

It was a selection of short stories that showed how buddism is experiencedd by people, wife read it in Thai same time I read it in English.

His house is open on weekends, just off Sathorn.

DOG

The absolute best has been "Democracy, Shaken & Stirred," by Win Lyovarin.

At the end of every chapter you think you know what's happening, and by the end of the first sentence, in the next chapter, you find out you didn't know anything at all.

Great to hear that people enjoy reading the stories on our site.

As mentioned we have loads of stories from Cent, TurkFist, Chuckwoww, Julian, Nervous_Dog, Pebo and others on the site. Almost 300 in total already and more being added on an almost daily basis.

StoryAdmin

Dean Barrett

Like the books he has out.

Murder on the Skytrain, Bangkok Warriors, China Red

<tired tonight so the titles may be a bit off>

Fun reading and he sort of has a "wise ass" way of writing that makes for nice stories...IMO

Archived