What if all the Bars Closed

bust

Personally it would not effect me, as long as the question refers to P4P as opposed to Prohibition, hell I have found bars in Libya Saudi and other such places so that will never happen.

I was fortunate enough to get a contract in Thailand 15 years ago and was pleasently suprised when I first landed here to what was on offer but as time goes on I tend not to associate with that side of life anymore.

Dont get me wrong, I am not a "Holier than Though" being negative about the scene, it would be hypocritical of me to do so, but as years go by opportunities away from the bar scene tend to present themselves.

Denouncing the scene in order to have a happy marriage requires a little more discretion and I am comfortable partaking of it when away on Biz trips around SE Asia

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You miss the point buddha. I am not just talking about the organised scene but the scene as a whole (pun intended). The discos not nana carparks at 2.00 am. Just all of a sudden all the girls just stopped being available. What then?
I see the point you are trying to make, but the hypothetical you are providing is too extreme. I think buddha is responding to that; because you can't picture the hypothetical, it is impossible to answer.

So...let's make it more realistic. Let's base it on the now old new social order policies. Let's say they really enforced them as advertised and went a bit further. Forget about showing; it's now BGs in granny outfits and no dancing on tabletops. Bars really were limited to ridiculous hours, say, 9 p.m to midnight.

Let's take a step further. Let's say they started to really raid NEP and discos on a regular basis. All Farangs are forced to line up, show their original passports and take a urine test; if no passports, a major hassle that costs you hours in a police station and a several thousand Baht fine. This actually did happen at a few places, but now let's imagine it's at least a weekly event at virtually all venues.

And now a step further: police start stopping and questioning TG and Farang couples. Again, passport checks, a search for condoms and maybe a search of the guy's hotel.

Now this is a semi-realistic hypo partially based on events that did happen. If this did happen, it would obviously affect tourism. Thailand's economy is already in for serious problems. If any of this started happening now, those problems would get even worse.

Archived