Thai names, latest generation

limbo

Allright,

We all got used to Plaa, Nok, Nit, Noi, Puy and Om etc.

Strange maybe, in the beginning to know that the bird you were shagging actually went by the name 'bird' (nok).

The latest development in Thais naming their offspring is a bit scarier though IMHO.

Out of own experience I know of children named;

Copter

Wave

Snooker

Remote

Radar

Poor kids when they grow up...... ::

Any other folks have similar observations?

Long been a "tradition" in Hong Kong and expats who live there keep their own lists. Since I have lost mine, I'll refer to someone else's.. The Big White Guy, who lives in HK has been keeping track (he says: collected from print publications, business cards and e-mail ? as well as personal observation).

Remember, these are all *chosen* English first names by these folks LOL! The parents did not name them this. I often think that Hong Kong people just open a dictionary and pick the first thing they point to...

Cheers,

SD

[Content removed as requested by the author, please read it on the website linked above - KS]

shrollski said:

What a list.. Where to start! I would like to be referred to as Wanky from now on please. Or Kudos.

I'm thinking about changing my name to either Iceman, Raccoon or Chlorine.

Wait, hold on Jesus Christ would be pretty awesome to have as a name.

That list is some of the funniest stuff I've read in a long time. Who in the hell would choose "Aids" for their name? ::

We're onto something here! Image Challenge Theme: Silly names. Get a roll of those 'Hello, my name is.....' stickers they have at AA meetings and find and recruit the funniest to have their picture taken wearing their nametag.

I would like to see Poo, wee, bum and cock in the first instance. No cheating please - genuine entries only.

That reminds me - my mandated French penfriend in school had a dog called Argos. Sort of like calling your pet poodle 'mothercare' that..

(sorry if the names mean nothing to the Americans on the board - but tough - you all expect us to know that when you say 'bay area' you don't mean Cardiff so poo to you. etc.)

Long been a "tradition" in Hong Kong

I remember getting a letter at work from HK (some boll#cks that usually just get filed), but noticed it was signed by a lady in Hong Kong called...........Fanny.................Chu.

:: :: ::

I tried phoning her up, but it must of been her day off. :(

Used to keep a list of stupid names, but lost it a long time ago.

Still remember one Scandinavian fella tho' with a Surname that could be read as "Arse" in English. He laughed when introducing himself that his name sounded a lot ruder in English than when at home. Someone then said something like you mean having a Christian Name that can be read as "bollock"? - apparently his first name also being rude in English WAS new to him :o :o :o

Archived