Extortion at Poipet ?

BuffHello

Problem on the Cambodia side of Poipet border crossing

Editor;

Yesterday I was forced to go on yet another costly and time-consuming border run to Cambodia. I encountered a problem on the Cambodian side of the border. After crossing into Cambodia from Thailand, I went to the visa payment area and paid the requested 1000 baht fee for a tourist visa. I then went to the border check point and gave the officer my passport and immigration forms. He looked up at me and said, ?You must pay me 800 baht to enter Cambodia.? I told him that I had already paid. He then said, in a forceful tone, ?800 baht!? I told him again that I had already paid a Cambodian police officer 1000 baht. He mumbled something to a colleague sitting next to him, stamped my passport and handed it back to me.

I then crossed the street to the area where you exit Cambodia. I handed the officer my passport. He looked up at me and said, ?That will be 100 baht.? I told him that I had already paid all of the required fees and asked him if this was some type of new policy. He seemed surprised at my response and decided to stamp my passport and let me go.

Given that this is no doubt not an isolated event, I suspect that several corrupt Cambodian immigration officers are aggressively trying to extort money from virtually every foreigner that is trying to enter and exit Cambodia via Poipet. Border runs are frustrating enough. Border runs that result in extortion attempts are way beyond frustrating. Accordingly, if there anything that the Thai government can do to help put a stop to this illegal behavior, please do so. One simple solution would be to allow foreigners to pay the required visa fees at any Thai immigration office without having to exit Thailand.

Jopal Merob

Bangkok

pattayamail.com letters

Yeah, but think of all the visa run companies that would go out of business. Try Burma, its only $5.00 (but don't give them a bill thats even slightly torn; they won't take it). Why do you think Thai officials care what a farang thinks (particularly since they can't vote) about government policy?

Did one of them look like this guy? He got Si Saket Girl and I for 700bht, maybe only 400, depending on how you figure it...did get expedite service from another guy, when I went back on my way to Siem Reap...he did it all then asked me for a tip...I didn't give him anything, maybe should have, as he did actually get me through faster...

eb50462b.jpg

What scares me, is the guys who offer to get you through faster on the way back...giving up the passport scares me...Gordon, from www.talesofasia.com swears they do move you through/are faster, but a scarey thought to have them hold/"lose" your passport...then a real shakedown, or a trip to Phenom Pehn to get a new passport at the embassy, or maybe fined for not having it...a lot of games at the Poiphet/Aranyaprthet crossing that is for sure...

Killah said:

The Thais really need to sort something out with Visas, it seems stupid to hav to leave the country just to be allowed back in again.

They already have.

Tourist visas are for tourists.Simple.

Non-Immigrant visas and the associated permit extensions are for those who want to stay within the borders permanantly.

There are a multitude of Non-Immigrant categories and it is really pretty trivial to get one and extend your permit of stay.

It is a little reactionary to blame the Thais.

Visa-runners should blame themselves for wanting to immigrate to Thailand but not having the foresight and life planning skills to organise their personal situation to meet the immigration requirements.

I am not familiar with visa run scams, but in fairness to those who are complaining, Thailand does have some quirky laws and practices in this area.

My personal favorite: immigration and labour are under the control of two entirely separate government agencies. You can be granted the right to live here forever (permanent residency), but you need to separately apply and qualify for a work permit every year, and the work permit requirements change every year. So you have the right to live here forever, but you don't necessarily have the right to be gainfully employed and support yourself. You won't find this in the US, and I suspect you won't find this very many - if any - other developed countries or even other countries in the region.

You mean to tell me that there is official corruption in an extremely poor third world country? :: Oh my god, how can that be. ::

I am continually amused by people's indignation when confronted with the inequities and unfairness of the world we live in. Just think how the poor guy at the border feels watching [what to him are] rich people go by all day that are able to do so only by an accident of birth. That is true unfairness

TH

Archived