Digital exam ?

New Petchburi Pete

Had digital exam during my annual physical a few weeks ago at BNH Hospital in Bangkok.

Over 60 now, so I signed up for the full package.

Relevant to this thread, that included:

• British doctor (not a Thai) asked in a kind way if I wanted digital/finger-in-rectum exam for prostrate enlargement.
  • barium enema -- my first, ever.
  • PSA blood test for prostrate screening.

Contrary to some posts above, the worst I could say is a feeling of discomfort.

About the same as a very urgent need to use the toilet.

Results all negative. :)

Worth a few moments of discomfort.

By the way, the full, "Platinum Executive" checkup package at BNH hospital, is 14,900 baht.

While there are cheaper checkup packages available at BNH, it is still one of the more expensive hospitals in Thailand.

Link to BNH Hospital

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

get a abdominal sonagram .. all of your organs are visualized

at bumrungrad the results are available before you get back to your treating docs office.

the digital exam is extremely unreliable.

without an insurance company heavy dening care & with reasonably priced diagnostics you can really find out what is going on medically in Thailand

spot on your lung? .. worry worry ..

get a CAT scan for 10k Thb & find out exactly what it is the chest xray raised alarms about.

my US docs love the Bumrungrad diagnostics.

Listen,

You are not giving the rectal exam, you are getting the rectal exam (if you are a male, of course)!

You should be having your postertate examined by a medical doctor.

Of course, you can do this yourself, but some (not all) would think you some sort of self-gratifying dysfunctional fobic.

The lack of basic medical knowledge by some never ceases to amaze me. I can even add that some on this board are anal retentive!

• 3 weeks later...

S R >

get a abdominal sonagram .. all of your organs are visualized

at bumrungrad the results are available before you get back to your treating docs office.

the digital exam is extremely unreliable.<

I just did, last week. A combination of abdominal sonogram and PSA test resulted in all clear for my prostate (58 years old, with family history of prostate and bowel cancer).

i was just praising my luck that i didn't need the Dr's finger up my bum (He was male and not that attractive), when i was informed I needed a colonoscopy. So instead of a finger, i got a camera shoved up me. Bummer!

Well, it wasn't all that bad, I was given some gas, and then rolled around and manipulated into the right position by a bunch of cute Thai nurses. They all started twittering exitedly when the found out I spoke some Lao, and when the doctor finally came in, they sang in unison "falang poot passa Issan", with one adding: "Mi mia pen khon issan mai?.

But i couldn't respond, because just before they started the invasive bit of the procedure, I drifted away on a cloud of gas and some pethidine.

Woke up and all was over. I stared into the dark eyes of yet another cute nurse. I hope I didn't say any compromising things in my dopey haze, I was certainly thinking some.

The upshot, my prostate may be excellent, but they did remove some polyps from my bowel, one of which was pre-cancerous.

I suppose I should count my blessings, at least i got onto it early, and I was told as long as I come and do this yearly for a while, we may stay on top of it.

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may be dead..........

Anyway, that's why I was a bit off-color last week.

And BTW, I was impressed as usual by the service at Bumrungrad, you'd almost want to hang out there just for the pleasure of ogling the nurses.

I had a beautiful babe (a technician} do one of those exams on me once. She had a probe that looked like a large elongated q-tip w/ radioactive barium or another that she was to stick up my ass and then X-ray. She was very formal: Mr. zzzz, lie on your side on this table; Mr. zzzz, lift your leg toward your chest, etc. --but once she inserted that probe, she said, "OK, honey" and it was honey this and honey that from then on. I think she had a fetish for this sort of thing because when she took that probe out of my ass, she looked at that thing very close to her face and she was grinning.

Archived