Thai customs searches

mongatu

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides the one time being searched on the way into Thailand, I was searched about 18 months ago on the way out of Thailand, before check in at NWA. I asked what they were looking for and they said "buddas." Fortunately, any budda statue that I have bought, I've shipped in crates or in a container.

>ummmm 50 kgs of medical supplies which had been legally obtained in let's say Australia......and they got stopped by Thai Customs in a random search. What would likely happen to them?

Allowances in comming into Thailand (IIRC) are for *personal items* up to a limit of (50,000 baht????? 10,000??? honestly can't remember).

50Kgs of medical supplies (legally obtained or not) would be highly unlikely to be considered "personal items". So, *if* caught minimum is to pay duty owed, maximum - confiscation and or fine (jail??).

However, having said that, over 15 years of comming into Thailand I have never been stopped. Agree with SD with the type of people normally being stopped. Chinese with a trolley load of cardboard boxes are often stopped. I suppose that its a sign of a bulk purchase (or large consumer goods) - in which case go back to paragraph 1...

As an aside, last time in the airport I saw a group of what looked like PRC chinese being stopped *after* the customs section, and out side of the barriers (i.e. where all the taxi touts are). Guys in official uniforms had stopped them and were going through the bags of duty free alcohol/ciggies that they had. Probably useful to remember that there *are* limits on duty free goods and that you are not free and clear just because you are past the customs section!

-j-

I get 45Kgs with Qantas but will approach them for an increase. My real concern is that the Thais are known to charge more in duties than the items are sometimes worth. Maybe I should look at their laws regarding humanitarian aid. I will have a letter fro Aus Govt hopefully that will be enough if I get checked.

I made the mistake of having a friend ship me vitamins to BKK by UPS (do not ever use UPS, they suck!!! ::)

1st, Thai Customs wanted to charge me duties that we 3 X's the cost of the vitamins!

Then, after I provided them with receipts/internet pricing/invoices for the vitamins, they released them to me.

The vitamins sat i Customs, where I was forced to pay daily storage charges.

UPS did nothing to assist, they were completely useless!!!

Plus three trips to the airport, so 1 1/2 days lost with this.

Moral of the story, pay whatever is reasonable as soon as possible and carry proof of the cost of the items.

bust1 said:

OK so what if say someone had ..........ummmm 50 kgs of medical supplies which had been legally obtained in let's say Australia......and they got stopped by Thai Customs in a random search. What would likely happen to them?

Quite likely to be seized as contraband because you didn't find the line/window to declare what you were importing into the Kingdom.

Archived