Thai customs searches

mongatu

The other post in this section about US customs searches got me thinking about Thai customs searches. So far I have always just had carry on luggage and never been searched entering Thailand. My next trip, I'll be staying longer and am planning on bringing a lot of stuff in one large checked rolling bag plus my two carry on bags. I suppose this will increase the chances they'll want to look in my bags, but I wonder what experiences others have had with getting searched when entering Thailand?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned in the other thread that I have made 10 trips to Thailand in 9 years and have always brought two large empty suitcases and one carry on with clothes. I return to the U.S. with full suitcases. On departing the customs area in Bangkok, they see these large suitcases and don't know that they are empty but I have never been stopped (the one exception is when I was bringing back four Thai cabinet doors to have repairs done; they wanted to look at them). I am in the same boat. I will now be bringing in full two large suitcases on July 11 and September 21 to leave in my new house in C.M. but am not overly worried about being stopped at Thai customs.

had my stuff put through the xray just as leaving the customs area.

nothing happened, just asked what some stuff was ( I had a mac laptop one time and a convection oven another time).

I pass through Don Muang several times a month. I have never seen a farang stopped. They seem to stop Indians, Arabs, Africans and Chinese with large luggage bags or (more frequently) cardboard boxes.

That's not to say "never happen," but I have a pretty big sample rate. So I am comfortable to say that I would not worry much about it. Just walk through like you know what you are doing and not look overly nervous. The ones who look like they have something to hide are the ones who get stopped.

Cheers,

SD

OK so what if say someone had ..........ummmm 50 kgs of medical supplies which had been legally obtained in let's say Australia......and they got stopped by Thai Customs in a random search. What would likely happen to them?

I got stopped twice in about 12 trips over the past 8 years. The first time was when I entered from Vietnam...did a cursary search and let me go. The second was when I brought a powerpoint projector into the country in a case where it was obvious what it was (in the days when the projectors were much larger than now). They gave me somewhat of a hard time over the projector, in that you were suposed to claim it and have permission to bring it into the country, but when I claimed innocense and pointed out that I was giving a presentation to Thai government officials, they let me continue on without any 'duty' or additional paperwork...

Archived