driving record for american insurance

danno6

OK....just got married here in America (Massachusetts) to a Thai woman and I am trying to put my new wife on my automobile insurance. She has a Thai driver's license with an International Driving Permit (this gives her the ability to drive legally here for 1 year). The insurance company is charging me like she has never driven a car before in her life....unless she can get some documentation about her driving record in Thailand (which is good). They also asked for an english translation of her driver's license, notarized! Anyone go through this before and have advice as to how to do this?

thanks

Well, the translation can likely be had through a local wat. Most often one of the monks there is a notary.

As far as the rest, I dunno. Never had that issue, but then again, when my wife first went there was a long time ago.

Cheers,

SD

chicken and the egg...cannot get the drivers license until she has a social security number...which she cannot get until she has a green card.....but.....

Regardless, even with a MA drivers license, they will treat her as if she never drove before unless she can show an offical driving record in Thailand. The insurance will cost me about $2000 more if we cannot get the proper documents!

danno6 said:

...cannot get the drivers license until she has a social security number...which she cannot get until she has a green card...

That is just flat out wrong. She can get a Social Security card without a green card as long as she is in the country legally. It will just be noted "not authorized to work." After the green card, you apply to the SSI to remove the restriction on the SS card.

Cheers,

SD

danno...check with the "local"/nearest Thai consulate. It should be able to help you. Doubtful that "driving records" as we know them in the U.S. are available out of the LOS. Even if they were computerized, they wouldn't show all the informal 100-500 baht fines metted out on the street.

HH

I am also from Massachusetts.

I believe once she is a resident, she MUST have a Massachusetts license, to drive here.

I believe you have 90 days, to be 100% legal, ONCE your a resident.

If she is 100% legal, she can get the dirver licenses, you can get the SS#, with restrictions, for no work.

I am not sure about the other red tape, but I know a guy from Laos, that got one (Drivers License), when he joined his family here, and still did not have a green card.

sporty

danno6 said:The insurance company is charging me like she has never driven a car before in her life....

thanks

Well, most recent immigrants DO drive here like they've never driven a car before in their lives ! (Especially Asians.)

:) You might check with other insurance companies and see what they can do for you.

HH

Archived