driving record for american insurance

danno6

As you know, all insurance companies in Massachusetts, use the same, set of criteria for rates. If you find more than a 2% difference its a lot from company to company. Probably no way around this, other than provide them with what they ask. With the POINT SYSTEM, she has none, with out a record.

I am a former Licensed Driving instructor (LONG AGO) when in college, I taught classes, and all that.

If the BIG ACCIDENT ever happened, and it got to the nitty gritty, with insurance. You can have a foreign long stay vistor designated to drive your car, is one thing. But, if you establishing her, as a resident elsewhere in applications. I suggest to be safe.

Check with the RMV, ONCE YOUR A RESIDENT, YOU MUST HAVE A MASS LICENSE, There is NO GRACE PERIOD.

Bottom of Page 2

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/dmanual/chapter1.pdf

danno6,

I went through similar with my ex, the "filipina from hell." She got a local license in California (they had books in a zillion languages, which pisses me off, including english, took them awhile to find it though).

She had driven in the PI, but upon getting her license here, we were told she needed 5 years driving experience IN THE USA to qualify for any lower rates. Her rates did go down signifigantly after that time, we paid out the ass in the mean time. In fact, as I recall, it went down a little each year.

As for the social security card, Suadam may be right, as she entered the USA on an H-1 visa, and had a social security card with limited work privilidges, but NO green card.

Not sure about Mass, but here in Cali, they want all sorts of papers from foreigners before they issue a driver's license now, oh, and finger/thumb prints as well. Supposed to cut down on illeagals getting licenses...isn't working BTW...

Danno...this happened to me when I moved out of NYC to Colorado.

I had a license but had not owned a car for since I was 22. When I bought one at age 38 I had a perfect driving record but had been uninsured for 18 years. I figured that I would get a good deal, but no....

An easy solution that I figured out. Pay for the insurance and then walk into a different insurance company with your wife as two insured motorists. Uninsured and new to the US she is somewhat of a liability. Once she has insurance she is seen in a different light altogether. The competitor will see you and her as two normal customers and the rate for her will be significantly reduced. Sign up and cancel the original policy and get a full refund.

worked for me....I went from paying $115 per month for limited coverage to paying $48 for full coverage...go figure

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought as a former resident of the Bay State. Ask the Registry of Motor Vehicles if an International Driver's License can be used to obtain a Massachusetts Driving License. If so obtain membership (family) in AAA and apply for an International Driver's License. Discuss the situation with AAA. Sometimes they can provide pertinent information. Good luck dealing with those MA auto insurance companies ... SOB's IMO!

Lowjit,

AAA is good to have, and the only way you can get an International Driving PERMIT, in Massachusetts.

The PERMIT, is only valid when you have additionally, a valid license.

However, If she is a new resident of Massachusetts, the ONLY valid Licesne is a Massachusetts one.

I agree about the Insurance Companies, for sure... No way to get points, other than to show, a clean record...

sly

Archived