Now she wants a Computer........

David_66_UK

Not sure if this should posted here or under education..........or relationships ::

Anyway, she has decided that she wants to go to "Learn Computer", has even found a school nearby (3,000B, Mon -Friday 2 hours a day for a month).

Her IT skills are worse than mine :: Basically at the level of using Hotmail which she started a couple of years ago......and as computers hadn't been invented when she was at school I figure that if she wants to go and try and learn something that it does not really matter what they teach her at her level, anything will be a forward step. 3 guesses who is paying :D

Anyway, she is also talking about it being a "good idea" for her to have her own computer "to help me learn". To be honest I am not overly keen to have her sitting on the Internet 24/7 talking to strange Farang ::, but it is hard to argue that it wouldn't help her learn a few things. BTW she is NOT aiming for a career in IT!........and 3 more guesses who she wants to pay for her Computer :D

So (Finally!) my question is..........what is the cheapest bit of kit nowadays that I can get away with paying for that would allow her to hook up to the Internet and play games on (she hasn't mentioned games yet, but I am sure it is only a matter of time ::). I am thinking Laptop / notebook on the basis that it is portable and it is "all in one". I have no idea nowadays what the lowest USABLE spec actually is nowadays and what costs we are talking about in Thailand, from somewhere reputable. (ie a written Guarantee would be nice, even if only theorectical :()

She will need a land line telephone, then she can use the 180 baht dail up cards to get access to the internet.

Or, you can subscribe to ADSL.

I would have her use the dial up as you can "see" how much time she spends online rather then the unlimited ADSL.

I bought mine a $300 desktop several years ago and have had ADSL for several years. Never been abused as she has little interest for the PC or the internet. E-mails when I am out on a job, that's it. Her e-mail accounts are usually expired as she doesn't use them.

but....your mileage may very ::

I was in Pantip a few days ago checking out used stuff for my GF's niece.

A useable "starter" CPU (128Ram, 10M hd) can be had for B5k-B6k, a used 17" CRT monitor: B1,500, Add B500 for keyboard, mouse and speakers.

The vendors will do a start up and load on whatever software and games you want. The o/s will be pirated XP, so you'll have to be careful with updates but workarounds for that have been detailed in previous "technology" threads

Try to find one with USB2 instead of USB1; if you can't, a USB2 card cost about B300.

There are a lot of used notebooks for sale, about double to triple the price for equal configuration. Consider that a notebook may be a little too easy for her to sell should be a little short of cash sometime.

dddave said:

A useable "starter" CPU (128Ram, 10M hd) can be had for B5k-B6k, a used 17" CRT monitor: B1,500, Add B500 for keyboard, mouse and speakers.

With 128RAM Windows XP would run very, very slow, 256 is IMHO the minimum, 512 MB are better; a 10GB hard disk is much too small for WinXP too. Depending on what software you plan to install 10-15GB will be used by WinXP itself and you need extra space (usually 20-30%) for caching. Therefore I would opt for a 40 GB hd. Otherwise your girl won't have much fun with the computer and some software even might not run on it.

By the way, if you want to know what your girl is doing on the PC you should install this kind of software on the PC:

http://www.win-spy.com/

Cheers for the advice guys, not too worried about her selling the kit...............in fact after a couple of months I will probably be parying she does!!, as I am more worried that she will be getting frustrated with getting it to work.................and then expecting me to know WTF is going on. :(

Archived