Coconuts

teddy

I have always wondered why I never had dates on my palm trees like everybody else in Dubai does. This year I found out why, they are coconut palms and are full of coconuts. Does anybody know how to tell when the coconuts are ripe or do you just wait until they fall off?

At the moment they are as big if not bigger than most coconuts you find in the shops but they are not as dark and don't have any hair.

Depends on how you like them. When they're green, they have a lot of sweet water inside, and a thin layer of soft sweet flesh. Very nice chilled as is.

As they get older, they turn brown, and the flesh turns quite hard, and the yellow kernel is still quite small. This is best for cooking.

If it gets any older than this, the yellow kernel fills the whole cavity, there's no water and no one wants it.

Take your pick. ::

I like them young, though as a kid I liked them tough and old. Young is nice. Just wait till they are big and green, then send someone else up there to cut them down.

NOTE - They are full of the worst cholestorol apparrently (WOW that will start the experts I bet)

DOG

Teddy I will buy you scotch all night if you can get one down and husk it by your self! This means no tools!

I would get some bloke to get up there and get them all down , you dont want them falling on the kids.

I was laying next to the pool in Broome Australia and a coconut came down and landed on a bloke next to me .Broke a couple ribs. Scared the crap out of me and I didnt get hit! So Im always weary of coconut trees.

Dog, I thought it would have all good for you? You see the Thais scoffing them dowm all the time.

I like to get a green one put a shot of Vodka or Gin in and then leave in the fridge for a couple of hours. Good leg opener!

zob65 said:......... I like to get a green one put a shot of Vodka or Gin in and then leave in the fridge for a couple of hours. Good leg opener!

"Good leg opener"?! How does that work? You give some shy lass a drink of the old coconut voddie and all of a sudden she's spreading them for you? ::

Archived