Guess what I'm reading...

Bkkbound04

soongmak said:
chuckwoww said:

You mean governments use things like patriotism and religion to manipulate the population? Whoda thunk!

It's a shocker, isn't it. :D

As Karl Marx once said....

Religion is the opiate of the masses.

or was that Groucho :dunno:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
'Bush' is scrutinised, he faces public critism,he has to face an electorate, he is accountable.
This is right. It really is a matter of degree, and I suspect that many of those who don't live here don't realize how big the gap is.

On the positive side, and notwithstanding recent events, I think Thailand is improving on this score. If I had only lived here 2.5 years (average stay of an ex-pat, per the Oz survey which is the subject of another thread), I would almost certainly have a very different opinion. The gap is still tremendous and the rule of law here is still pretty thin, but over the mid to long term, Thailand is seriously improving.

I'd like to read Paul's book. Since it is banned here, it is probably easier to find now.

"Bush' is scrutinised, he faces public critism,he has to face an electorate, he is accountable."

Not really. He can't be elected to the presidency again, at least without sitting out a term. At this point, he has to worry about getting members of his part elected to the legislature.

Not that this is off topic or anything like that.

"He can't be elected to the presidency again, at least without sitting out a term."

Bush is done no matter if he sits out a term or not.

The 22nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution explicitly states you can only be elected twice:

"No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once."

Granted, the way this administration treats the Constitution like toilet paper; this amendment might conveniently get repealed in the next couple of years.

OK back on topic here. The book is decent, not sure where a lot of the inside info comes from. Also wonder what his personal issues might be that make him want to write this book, and most likely get a lifetime bann in Thailand...? But a decent book, and some decent incites...

Paul was a reporter based here for a long time. You live here long enough, you learn a few things. Because he was journalist, and a daman good one, he learned more than most.

As I recall, he had a French GF, had enough, and planned to live in Europe.

Having only read half the book so far, I am left trying to figure out the implications for the current political crisis in the country and possible outcomes.

He makes a lot of ascertions,its reasonably well referenced but the more contentious stuff seems very much based on his perception of events.

Anyhow,its now on my recommended book list for people travelling to thailand. I can't wait to see the news headlines when the first tourist is arrested on the beach for reading it!!!

JP

I'm looking forward to reading this book but I don't think I'll find it where I am at the moment.

In the meantime I've been looking at comments from Thais on Amazon.com. Here are some choice quotes:

[color:green]"I am really hate this kind stupid author who did things on his favor by destroying some others."[/color]

And the following classic:

[color:green]"This book is very trash. Well education people will never read this kind of book. Because the author very uneducated and trash. If anyone can tell the author He is the trash author I will reward for sure Contact me at ninachen100@earthlink.net " [/color]

And finally:

[color:green]"I also did some "quick re-search" on Google and found many pictures of the King Bhumibol smiles"[/color]

There are a few entries from Thais, one of whom claims to be 4th generation Chakri and who says his family is mentioned in the book. His response?

[color:green]"Given my background I couldn't put it down and for that I gave it a 4 stars"[/color]

I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Archived