Fish

Coss

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

That pike (a beauty!) looks like a 25 pounder (what the hell is he using a gaff for?!!!do you not have nets or hands in denmark!) at least (I know we're going metric but anglers here will NEVER go metric!)....my goal is to get my 1st 20 asap, the record here is 47lbs i think.

CS, the fishing in the usa seems less cluttered than here, you will see anglers here carrying everything but the kitchin sink to the waters edge. Me and my mate caught some trout in a little pond high on mount whitney, took them to jakes saloon in Lone Pine who cooked them up for us!

Usually we don`t use the gaff only keep it for emergencies.

However, my mate was supposed to land it for me as I was kind of busy and due to the fact that 2 triple hooks from the wobbler was dangling on the outside, he couldn`t get a grip without risking the hooks would catch him as well.

When it comes to pounds contra metric, I am with you. A 25 pounder sounds much more impressive than a 11 kilos. :)

I`ve caught a 15 kilos pike in Sweden some years back, I`ll see if I can dig out the slide. It shouldn`t be much trouble afterall I only have a few thousands. :) That should give you an idea of the length I go to to brag!

cheers

hn

Guest lazyphil

holy cow thats huge, 15lbs?looks much bigger??.....my pb is only 15lbs, one of those posted equalled my 15lber i caught years ago, do you mostly lure fish or dead/live bait?....i tend to dead bait, i'm going next tuesday to a supposedly great zander spot, pike of course are on the cards here too, i've got the bug again!.....CS, wherever HN caught that is where I want to fish!!. The Carib sounds great but I tried big game fishing in Phuket and spent 10 hours feeling VERY VERY sea sick on the boat, never again!

15 kilos actually, what is that 32 lbs?. From the island Ã?land in Sweden.

We were actually there to fish seatrout, when we much to our surprise ran into those big pikes in the brackish water, they were all beautifully colorated and very well proportioned probably due to ample supply of herring and whitefish.

For pike and zander I definitely prefer dead bait, also when trolling. Never use live bait.

Zander? My favourite fresh water fish and if you ask me the most delicious fresh water fish in our waters!

Unfortunately, zanders in Denmark are few and far between them :(

CS, I would very much like to try some flyfishing on the flats, be it in Key West or Los Roches north of Margarita, for permit, tarpon, trevally etc.

Or ideally if I found a suitable spot in LOS.

I don`t really fancy catching a fish the size of myself, I have no use for it and fighting it for hours doesn`t really appeal to me, but that is just me.

Incidentally, few years back I was fishing from a friend`s boat in Krabi.

We weren`t exactly succesful to say the least, so we anchored some 100 yards from a small rocky island. Here we caught some minor fish feeding on the bottom.

Not much fun in that, so I put on my snorkelling gear and swam towards the shore. As I was about to get out of the water I felt a sudden water pressure on my one side. WTF?

I got under water again, put on the goggles and nearly crapped myself. A giant trevally, one big MF`er came rushing towards me at what seemed like 60 miles an hour and turned abruptly only a few feet from me thus sending a pressure wawe in my direction.

As it swam back I realized that there was an entire shoal of them consisting of a dozen or so.

They seemed rather aggressive so I got out of the water and yelled at the guys on the boat to get their ass over here. But as we had only brought trolling gear, we had no succes.

I am sure a well placed Popper would have done the trick.

cheers

hn

Guest lazyphil

Zander are nice fish, super aggressive too, hunt in shoals i hear? unlike the loner pike......this is quite a feeble fish to post size wise which i caught on a night session in the summer (predation in miniture!), the only zander i've had this year, i plan to change this in the winter, they're not native to the uk but have gotten fairly widespread since the 60's when they were released. I think the record is tipping 20lbs....i think related to the north american walleye?

I didn't want to post my face fear of outshining the zanders handsome looks :crazy:

DSCN21512.jpg

Archived