2 dead crossing a road!

Anyone see this news report? 2 foreigners, a boyfriend and girlfriend killed, crossing a road in Bangkok i think?? They had flags to wave as part of some government 'safe road crossing' scheme......i don't recall much detail, as it was in one of the papers i briefly glanced at....but holy cow! Crushed to death by some truck, which unsurprisingly didn't stop, despite it being a crossing and flags being waved.....anyone got a link to this? Nasty nasty incident :(

It's on the Bangkok Post web site archive:

Two tourists run over on zebra crossing

Category : TEXT / General News

19 Jul 2006

< FULL TEXT >

WASSAYOS NGAMKHAM

Two foreign visitors were crushed to death by an excavator as they held aloft road safety flags while crossing a busy road in Bangkok yesterday.

British tourist Gary Thomas Chambers, 28, and his Norwegian girlfriend Hanne Karlsen, 20, were seen waving the flags to alert passing traffic before stepping out onto the pedestrian crossing in front of the Princess Hotel on Lan Luang road in Pomprap Sattruphai district.

A witness said the two were then hit by an eight-wheel backhoe. The heavy vehicle mowed them down in the bus lane, crushing them both to death.

Pol Maj Akarachai Chamchoi, inspector of Nang Loeng station, said each of the tourists was carrying a safety flag. The flags were placed on the roadside so pedestrians could use them to signal oncoming vehicles to stop _ part of a government road safety campaign called ''Safe Crossing With Flags''.

Pol Maj Akarachai said the excavator belonged to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration. The driver, Saichon Innork, 35, a city employee, was charged with reckless driving.

Mr Saichon said there was a problem with his brakes. He was driving back from a landscaping site and as he approached the hotel he spotted the two tourists but was unable to stop his vehicle. Police said the tyres had almost no tread.

Thai staff for some reason VERY upset by this, more so than other farang deaths, no idea why?????

Personally I think what happened was the farangs in question acted as I did nearly 10 years ago and expeccted the Thai's to stop at a zebra crossing, of course they don;t and have no idea why the road has large white stripes, maybe to go faster seems to be the average Thai thought.

Sad,

DOG

Archived