the well rounded expat

buddha

I raise/keep guppies outdoors. The work involved in maintenance is minimal; but, watching the population increase is rewarding. What's time consuming and worthwhile is searching for the best examples of the species to begin your 'family' with. There are many beautiful varieties available. Most appear to exhibit the leopard skin; but, I've found solid color blue specimens which are very attractive. The shape of the tail is very important. Try to acquire males with a delta triangular shape ... most desireable type. If you have the room (extra tanks), you could work on developing your own strain. I did this a long time ago; and, made a handsome profit at it.

If the guppies get too boring (make the appropriae offerings to the ghost of Lord guppy), purchase some male Siamese fighting fish "Betas"). Keep them in separate bowls; but, allow them to see each other so that they get enraged and 'display their colors.' Publicize scheduled battles and invite a few gamblers. Offer odds and take bets as these guys will fight to the death! This should keep you busy and you just might make a few Baht. I'll put my best Beta up against your's anyday ... with the 'proper' odds of course.

Archived