Election commission shocker

lembeh

Just go this in my in box from Thai visa. Amazing!

The Nation Breaking News

Court finds EC guilty in historic ruling

Three EC commissioners thrown behind bars, losing status

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court Tuesday convicted the three election commissioners in malfeasance and jailed them immediately, causing them to automatically lose their status.

The three commissioenrs were found guilty of violating the election law and sentenced to four years in jail. Their election rights were also revoked for ten years.

The court found EC chairman Vasana Puemlarp, EC members Prinya Nakchadtree and Virachai Naewboonnien guilty of mishandling the April 2 election and a subsequent election.

The court declined to suspend the jail term against them.

The huge crowd waiting to hear the verdict at the court erupted in cheers.

The three were led by court officials to be detained inside the cell at the court pending their appeal.

The suit was filed against the three EC commissioners by Democrat deputy secretary-general Thavorn Sennium on April 18.

Thavorn alleged the three with violating the Criminal Code and MPs and Senators Election Act.

The court ruled that Thavorn had no authority to file the criminal charges citing the Criminal Code but the three EC commissioners were found guilty of violating the MPs and Senators Election Act.

-- The Nation 2006-07-25

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76815

and an update

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/07/25/headlines/headlines_30009507.php

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the archives here will establish that I wasn't a Thaksin fan from day one, but we need to recognize that his party could still win a fair election. It will be harder for Thaksin to dominate TRT and Thai politics, which I see as a reasonable outcome even if TRT is the ruling party after the next elections.

I don't understand why the three EC members held on for so long. It was pretty obvious that here position was untenable and that no one would have confidence in the October elections if they stayed in office.

What is a fair election in Thailand ?

Politics and power are so skewed there that I don't think its a recognisable concept let alone a pragtmatic system of governance.

The fact that the three are tonight in jail means history is being written and the plotting goes on.

JP

...we need to recognize that his party could still win a fair election.

How will ever know if that is true if they refuse to contest a fair election? The last election was a bloody joke! Called by Thaksin to save his own skin. The election commissioners probably held on for so long because resigning would mean not only a loss of face but an admission of guilt, and implict in this admission of guilt would be the fact that they conspired with the ruling party to rig the election.

Update:

3 EC commissioners arrive at Remand Prison

The three disgraced election commissioners arrived at the Bangkok Remand Prison at 6:45 pm.

They took off their suit and wore only white shirts when they were put behind bars.

They were detained at the first zone of the prison. Reporters were not allowed to take photos of them behind bars.

The Nation

"Ah, so it is prefectly okay to take pictures of a young girl who has been raped, "

AFIK, The police have finally stopped letting reporters photograph the re-enactments of crimes like rape. Its been a long time in coming.

Acknowledged: Those with power and money are held to a different standard.

Archived