Microsoft to push IE7 as 'high priority' update

carlton68

IE 7 - 1st Day Security Problems!

IE7: Are we right back where we started from?

Internet Explorer

The long-awaited Internet Explorer 7 debuted last week--and a brand-new flaw promptly debuted a day later. While Redmond argued that the vulnerability actually comes from Outlook Express, it still affects IE7. But Mike Mullins says it doesn't bode well for the browser update, whose security enhancements Microsoft has been touting.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

thought I should share what progress I made the last few weeks.

I use Firefox since version 1.0. Very happy with it. Since about three weeks I use FF 2.0 (used RC2 and now the final release). Since all add-ons I use are available for FF 2.0 there was no glitch with the upgrade. Only the add-on Tab Mix Plus isn't ready for FF 2.0, but there is a RC2 for FF 2.0 and it seems to do the job.

Since I am not doing much more than surfing I see only a small difference between FF 1.5 and FF 2.0.

Previous I couldn't install IE7 due to WGA validation. This changed a few days ago when I discovered a patch (changes/adds two entries in the registry) that makes my XP copy appear genuine. The patch had to be applied after the latest WGA validation tool was installed on my computer (just ran Windows update once, allow the Active-x control to install and cancel right after that). Then I was able to download all stuff from Microsoft download area including IE7, Defender and WMP11. Downloads that require validation to download. When installing IE7 the installer checks again if the Windows copy is genuine. No prolems this time, installed without problems. Same with WMP11, I was validated ok.

I didn't try Defender. I just have no need for this.

Anyone still having problems installing IE7 might give it a try.

Palatkik,

I guess you've seen the PT. I won't put such a link in an open forum. Don't want any trouble with KS.

Finally found and activated one of the new features in FF 2.0 that I can make use of. The possibility to add a spell checker for chatboxes. Nice to type away in a forum and the errors get highlighted imedeately. I still have to find out what happens if I install german and english dictionaries.

Archived