Microsoft to push IE7 as 'high priority' update

carlton68

My latest update installed this bloody M$ bug, now everytime I open my laptop or start new pages, this bloody pop up comes along, stating that I may be the subject of counterfeit products.

MY ASS! Very annoying.

Have a look here:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/04/26/disable-and-remove-windows-genuine-advantage-notifications-nag-screen/comment-page-11/

and here for the Remove WGA tool:

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/removewga.htm

(but this won't help against the nag screen)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi folks,

sorry for digging up this old thread. I think it belongs here.

I read something in a german computer magazine I want to add to my original post.

It's still not official but rumored that IE7 will be finished and available for download Oktober 18th. November 1st it will be distributed via Automatic update.

Prerequisite for install is Win XP SP2 and successful WGA check.

Microsoft offers a blocking tool for people who use automatic update and don't want IE7 being installed. I guess not many will go to the length installing one tool so the other program does not get installed.

However, before installing itself IE7 will most likely show a screen like this so it gives everyone a chance to choose. At least it does not install without asking, like it was feared by many.

My gut feeling was that M$ will update the WGA check. This seems to be the case. The newest WGA patch that I know of is dated Oktober 3rd, and it doesn't work anymore. Seems M$ updated the WGA check in time for the patch-day earlier this week. What does that translate for you guys on an 'individual licence plan'? It says that you'll have to wait for a new WGA patch before you may install IE7.

What do I do? As Firefox 2 Release Candidate 2 is already available I'll wait for the Firefox 2 Final, and the extensions to follow up to that version. It won't be that long, until then I am quite happy with the current version of FF.

Archived