Hi,

just read the article and thought I might put up the link to it:

http://www.vnunet.com/

And in case the link fails:

-----------------------------------------------------

Microsoft to push IE7 as 'high priority' update

Developers fear compatibility nightmare for online applications

Tom Sanders in California, vnunet.com 27 Jul 2006

Microsoft plans to distribute its forthcoming Internet Explorer 7 browser as a "high priority" upgrade through its automatic Windows Update service, group programme manager Tony Chor said in a posting on the IE Blog.

The application will automatically download as a background process or when users run the auto update service to download and install security updates.

Users will be prompted when the application is ready to install. They will then be presented with a screen that advertises the improvement in the application, at which point it will be possible to choose to proceed with the new browser installation.

This method of distribution through the auto update service is considered aggressive and is likely to result in the majority of users proceeding to install the application.

But the approach could lead to compatibility issues. Internet Explorer 7 requires developers of some online applications to change their code to ensure that it works in the new browser.

Although the application has been available in beta since February, many online tools are expected to fail IE7 compatibility tests when the browser is released late this year.

Microsoft has released a Blocker Toolkit for enterprises that want to prevent the update from installing. But home users and small businesses are likely to end up with the updated version.

"If my lowest browser support level was IE7, then it would be a dream," a web developer by the name of 'Steve' commented on the Microsoft blog.

"However seeing how many bugs and compatibility issues still exist with IE7, I see this as a nightmare for supporting various applications currently available, and websites (web apps) too."

IE7 partly replaces older versions of the browser, preventing the use of the old version for legacy applications in addition to the new IE7.

Microsoft justified its approach by pointing at the software's enhanced security levels.

The browser tightens restrictions on online applications in an attempt to curb browser-based attacks. It also warns users when they visit a known phishing website.

"These are just some of the security enhancements we've designed to help protect users from malicious software and fraudulent websites, and Microsoft recommends that all genuine Windows customers install IE7," wrote Chor.

The browser is currently in the Beta 3 stage and is scheduled for release by the end of this year.

--------------------------------------------------------

At least, if WGA fails then IE7 will not be installed... :neener:

I have not seen/used IE7 enough to really comment on its abilities. My neighbour had problems with it, but as it is still beta the problems might be solved with the final version.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

I have not seen/used IE7 enough to really comment on its abilities. My neighbour had problems with it, but as it is still beta the problems might be solved with the final version.

It's still in beta on the M$ web site so I wouldn't go near it. FF already way ahead here along with Opera....good to have a choice though.

I have been using the Beta Version of IE7 for about 3 months now, I do quite a bit of work "Remote" from the office using CITRIX and some applications are not supported by FF or Opera, mainly engineering applications such as INTools, PDS 3D Modelling, ZYQAD etc. All applications reside on the server and I just connect remotely.

So far I have not had a single problem with it ... saying that it will probably fuck up big style within the next 5 minutes.

I would be careful to use IE beta from my own experience. There are some programs - like my homebanking progam - which rely on IE 6 and which crash with IE 7 beta. Therefore I got rid of IE7 beta very fast. And I will wait with the upgrade to IE7 until im sure that my other software will be able to run with it and until the first big patch day, since as usual, there will be found many bugs after the official release.

For daily use I only surf with FF anyway...

Guest HonoluluJimmy

Let's See. Will Bill Gate$ demo the system at an unvailing and have it lock up as was an instance in the past????

I still prefer DOS and no mouse...Keep a DOS prompt on my desk to as file work is faster there. MS Del*.* would be the command for bye bye Bill!

Hehe,

It's been some years. A friend was running an Atari emulator under a windows OS. The Atari emulator somehow created a file named '*.*'. Whatever he tried he could not get rid of that file. In the end he had the great idea to try 'del *.*' in a DOS environment... Lots of files gone, but '*.*' still there.

Guest HonoluluJimmy

Sure...don't play around there anything one space to the left of Del *.* wild card . wildcard is bye bye bye.............

See, I still use DOS for discs and other such stuff RN an other such events.......

Archived