Is Jakarta worth a visit?

Belem

The cheapest rooms in the Mulia I've been quoted by Asia Travel are US$113 a night. Is there another discounter that can get me a cheaper price at the Mulia, or is that the best I can get ?

Hi Belem,

I think you'll find that Pete was making a pretty sad attempt at humour, and has been severely admonished for it. That said, I got a great deal on accommodation over the Xmas - New Year break : 4-star hotel right in the heart of the action, and I'm paying considerably less than the prices they quote on their website (anything quoted in US dollars always sends a shudder down my Cheap Charlie spine). ::

No, its *not* the Mulia, but pretty damned close. If you are absolutely determined to stay at that particular hotel, then I recommend you pay the asking price : the place certainly looks spectacular enough from the outside. You only live once :grinyes:

The factors which I believe worked in my favour are :

1. I booked well in advance (just after the Marriott incident - a tragic coincidence, but I was determined to go anyway).

2. I booked 9 consecutive nights - all hotels like certainty.

3. I booked as part of a package - got a great price on my airfare AND my accommodation.

The downside of the above is that I have paid for everything up front - if there is further trouble or whatever, I've probably lost my money. Thats the nature of the beast, IMO, and I accept that - risk equals return.

Also, as someone mentioned previously in an earlier post, Indonesians like to give their friends a hotel room in town on NY Eve, and that pushes prices up. Given the sheer size of Jakarta, though, I'm sure that there is still reasonably priced accommodation to be found, but I wouldnt leave it much longer to book something. My own experience was that my travel agent was able to get much better rates than anything I could find on the net.

I admit that the above is all pretty commonsense stuff, and made with the benefit of hindsight - apologies if it seems patronising, as thats not my intention.

Good luck,

Artie

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Belem, you want to stay in Mulia , you're right, it's one of the best option (in the five stars range) for sanukers with the famous CJ's on first floor and the always buzzy lobby and restaurants ;

Anyway to answer your question, during my last stay in Jakarta (March 03), i stayed in Mulia for a $60 net/day rate including brkfst, then for August 03 (as i decided to go to Sao paulo instead), they agreed for a corner room at $75/net brkfst included (minimum two weeks stay, with additionnal benefits as free laundry and 20% on food and beverage) ;

So IMO to get some low rates or benefits, you should call directly the hotel reservation (Oscar in Mulia, if my memory serves me), and negociate directly with them, pretend :dunno: maybe that you're airline staff (as i did, worked well without any professional ID), that you work for some international well known company which have big discounts in some other five stars hotels (don't hesitate to say that in **** you can have a rate at $50), or whatever else you can imagine (maybe that you're Suharto's granddaughter fiance?!)

This will work whitout any problems (except maybe the last idea, she got married last year ... too bad :rolleyes::grinyes: !!)

Cheers

Prosal:

"This will work whitout any problems (except maybe the last idea, she got married last year ... too bad !!)"

Damn your a real gold digger, I wouldn't tuch that shite with Carltons 10' pole :drunk:

Belem:

So there you have it. The best price is either negotiated directly or obtained from a full service travel agent. The Australian agents will have considerable advantage in this regard. I think you may be able to get some deals on the web but its pretty spotty. The Indotel booth at the airport is pretty useful. Airport terminal hotel booking used to suck in Jakarta but these people get a commission so they will have an interest in negotiating a good price for you, it depends on how savvy they are but it could yield some results, my wife and I have done that at reservation counters in Bali. Thats Indotel, I can't speak to the other reservation counters in Jakarta except to say my experience has been that they suck.

Just took a look at

http://www.indonesia-travel.org/scripts/cgi-bin/hotels_search.cgi

and you can have the Shangri-la for $126.00 tonite

or at http://www.goindotel.com/goindotel/plsql/indotel.detail?nomor=121

you can have the Mulia tonight at $US96.00

Or at their direct website the cheapest rate is $US135.00.

http://www.hotelmulia.com/promotions/promotions.htm

Carlton,

Prosal was expressing regret that one Soehartos grandaughters is now married, and I just sad i would not poke her with your dick, or anyones for that matter.

Its a play on the idom "I wouldnt touch that with a 10' pole." which means I wouldn't get near it.

Just teasing, now offense intended to you.

ag

Morning adik,

well I know what it means 'I wouldn't touch her/him/it with a pole', was just confused by that it has to be my pole. And of course you got the size wrong. :doah:

Of course no offence taken.

I dunno, but I guess shagging any of Soehartos granddaughters AND fooling around with other women (which I'll never give up) is not the smartest of ideas.

Says adikgede:

Prosal,

Damn your a real gold digger....

Well, i never made much difference between a pretty and elegant (but poor) kampung chick who gently eat her Buntut Soup sitting in a warung before taking a bajaj to some Kota nightspot or wherever and a pretty and fortunate heir gently drinking her Martini Chocolate at the Burgundy's bar with her X5 parked in front of the Grand Hyatt : both of those Javanese beauties are potential targets, and both deserve to be 'touch with a pole' !!!

(my experience with the last category have happily never caused any troubles with some angry grandfather ready to dispatch on me some off-duty corrupted cops or Ambonese bodyguards ::)

:angel: :angel: :grinyes::grinyes:

Cheers

• 1 month later...

OK, at the risk of being flamed, this is my favourite thread, and it seems to have drifted slightly off course. With a little over two weeks to go, and after what seems like an eternitey since I booked the bloody trip, I am more than a little excited.

I am very much looking forward to the novelty of shopping on Xmas Day and Boxing Day (two very boring days in Oz for anyone who doesnt follow cricket), and I am aware that the consumerism which accompanies Xmas in the West has been soundly embraced by several Asian countries (Japan probably being the most notable). Surely this wont be the case in the worlds largest Muslim nation ? And whats this Idul Futri I keep hearing about - Jakarta emptying as people dash home to celebrate the end of Ramadhan with their relatives ? If this is the case, it will be a spectacle indeed : forget Donner und Blitzen, just get me back to my hotel before Dec 27 !

Archived