Is Jakarta worth a visit?

Belem

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DOWP ! OK, I'll take the time to research the Islamic calendar, with a view to avoiding major gaffes like 'I'll bet you're looking forward to the holidays !'. As always, the topics of religion and politics will be off limits, and I'll politely shy away from them if raised by a third party, but it'll be handy to have *some* clue before I depart.

Thanks again Adik - if only we could condense your posts into a small book for travellers !

I miss many things about living in a city, but traffic definitely isnt one of them. When I think of places like Bangkok, Jakarta and Mexico City, its difficult to imagine them in another 20 years. Perhaps we'll have those Jetson-style flying cars by then : imagine the carnage ......

I have to look on the bright side of life in the sticks - I drive home for lunch each day : 7 minutes and I'm in my kitchen ::

Yes its cherry isn't I take the bus to work, its faster and cheaper than driving. I work at two site which are about a cigarette and a cup of copy apart by foot. Im so looking forward to being back in Jakarta. :banghead: Eventually we will move, our driver wants to tag along. Its been hard to translate the phrase "you will already be obsolete."

The jetson might not be as much carnage as you think. traffic moves slow and in a predictable manner. In the west they say mind the gap and the rule of the road in Indonesia is fill the gapand beating around the bush is the direct path.

:banghead:

Hi Adik,

I've been compiling some of your older posts (along with those from the other old timers) to give me a 'guidebook' for Jakarta when I touch down in 12 days time. Forgive me if I've misread you, but you seemed to be saying in some of your posts that the demarcation between P4P venues and 'good girl' venues isnt as clear as it is in Thailand ? (Before I get flamed, I'm sure that some GTGs *do* occasionally venture into GoGo's in BBK and Pattaya, but my I dont recall seeing too many girls who looked like they had gotten lost on the way to prayer group...).

I guess my question is whether there is a risk of misjudging a girls motives and getting one's face slapped (or worse...) ? I'm not the caveman type, but I dont fancy having to dance around the issue like a schoolboy, either. As you pointed out, they may not necessarily want cash, simply a night out : as long as we can cut through the bullshit, I have no problems with that. We all pay for it, one way or another.

Well you mention an angle that I wasn't really thinking about. What happens when you take a GIG to a bar filled with ayam (girls on the make). A friend of mine was writing an article for the Indonesian localised version of FHM about white guys and golden gurls who get married. She had told me she had been spending some time in Retro, Tiga Puluh, and Embassy which to me was unremarkable. I was kidding and I said she should take me to one of these places, and she said essentially not even if you paid me, Im not that desperate. Meaning she wouldn't get caught dead in one of those places.

You don't have to worry about making a faux pas though because you just ask a girl where she wants to go and try not to volunteer too much information when you are being interrogated by any girl who think she owns you. But if your putting together a rough guide, the other guys here know where to go. I've never been a big night club guy myself. Luckily I've been able to meet people during the day. The girl I mentioned before is someone I know from the coffee bar.

Archived