1st class trains

theshaw66

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to take the train to Phitsanulok (bkk - CM train) and wasn't impressed. Well, not too bad though for Thai standards.

You can take a sleeper / night train with aircon, bunk is a little narrow and short (probably around 1.80 long, I'm 182 so it was a little uncomfortable. and about 80 cm wide. The lower bunks seems to be a bit bigger than the upper one + thin crappy curtains which seperate the bunk from the path..that's as much privacy as you're gonna get.

If you go in the afternoon the fan compartment would do it, but not recommended as it'll be around 12 hours to CM. I think I paid about 300-400 to Phitlok...CM should be nearly 1000, maybe 800 Baht, not sure.

Phitlok was doable, 5-6 hours, and that's only half-way for you..go figure. If you're up to it, no problem, nice experience if time isn't an issue.

Enjoy the view :)

- Many many moons ago i took the train in the daytime from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, 1st class, nice ride.

- a few years ago i took the train from Bangkok to Surat Thani at night, 1st class was also pleasent.

- Then, same way i took later the 2nd class at night.

Its remembers me about a [color:brown]Laurel & Hardy [/color]episode when they took a night-train.

same same, but without fun, will not do it that way again.

One of the problems with first class is that if you are travelling solo, they are likely to stick another passenger in the compartment in the middle of the night.

On one night trip to Udon Thani, they put a chinese man into my compartment at about 2am. He proceeded to make mobile calls and chain smoke cigaretts while killing about four bottles of Leo for the next two hours; most un-pleasant.

One other thing I didn't like about first class is that the bed is perpindicular to the line of travel; every time the train slows or speeds up, you roll on the bed.

Second class bunks are parallel to the direction of travel and only rock gently. I actually prefer second class.

BEWARE OF THE ONBOARD FOOD!!!; I got serious food poisoning from a club sandwich I purchased on the train.

** I got serious food poisoning from a club sandwich I purchased on the train. **

ddddddddddddddave ,

we are all your friends here and you may admit you found it under the seat . Your remark gives Thai Railways Shinawatra Catering Inc. a negative image and therefore I cancel your current visa and you wil be deported tomorrow 5:30 am .

BuBi

Guest HonoluluJimmy

http://www.railway.co.th/eng/

will get you more info...

Do bring some food for long trips. I found the

1St Class train great as it is in amlost all cases a sleeper. 2nd class is kinda like Air Plane coach seats with more leg room. I took a 3rd class from Kanchanabury out to a resort up river. Wood bench seats and no fan or air con. I had seen a few go bye while waiting in Suring wondering how bad it would be for the 7 hour trip

Theshaw66,

Well, it's a nice way to experience a different side of Thailand other than the comfortable flights :)

If time isn't and issue and you're an adventurous person then why not.

I personally think it's nice to do the train ride BKK - CM in your lifetime...just once though :up:

Guest HonoluluJimmy
** I got serious food poisoning from a club sandwich I purchased on the train. **

ddddddddddddddave ,

we are all your friends here and you may admit you found it under the seat . Your remark gives Thai Railways Shinawatra Catering Inc. a negative image and therefore I cancel your current visa and you wil be deported tomorrow 5:30 am .

BuBi

Yeah, you know that Big Brother is watching here. I don't if there is a dining car for the FC trains but I can tell you about food deal. They take orders and call ahead to have it ready for pick up at a forward station. Seen the guy get off and pick up da food. Now, if I knew it was from food cart on Soi Nana that would make it a go!

Archived