1st class trains

theshaw66

jimmy ,

so what you say is that even from the train you could order a decent dinner that would join you half way between Korat and Bangkok ????? This is now of importance because soon I shall undertake a due diligence inspection of Khun Noi's family estate near Korat and am still clueless about a civilised way to get there , and back of course . If I understnd this correctly I would hand the conductor an explicite detailed order which would then be telexed by the train driver somewhere and later a service team enters the Shinkansen and delivers

First course : Parma ham with melon plus a Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin 1996 in a cooler

Main course : Australian red snapper in a sauce of white wine , mixed vegetables , 2001 Chantilly Premier Cru

A selection of cheese , vintage Cognac , Coffees with Swiss Pralinées .

I mean do you REALLY think they would do that ??? And do you think they get the temperature of the wine right ???

BuBi

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
are the trains nice?...i want to ride the train to bangkokk to chaing mai .... how much would that set me back?

I made that train trip two years ago.

It was a gentle adventure in Thailand.

I recommend it.

No, the trains are not nice, but they are okay.

The trains are 10-15 years old, but they look twice their age because the Thais simply don't care about maintenance.

I recommend second-class, air-con, not first-class.

In first-class you are stuck in a tiny room for the entire journey.

In second-class you are in a Pullman car with seats during the day, and bunks for sleeping at night.

The bunk bed is comfortable and the sheets clean.

Comfortable, that is, for anyone 6' or less.

Over 6', impossible to stretch out.

The bathrooms are not filthy, but they are not clean either.

About what you'd expect in Asia.

The dining car is not air-conditioned, but the service and food was fine:

Similar menu, quality and prices to what you'd find in any neighborhood restaurant in any city in Thailand.

Be aware of the stewards coming through the aisles offering you orange juice.

It's not like an airline flight where the beverages are free.

If you accept the juice, they'll return a few minutes later expecting you to pay for it.

I don't remember the price -- but it's nothing serious.

One-way, Bangkok-Chiangmai, takes about 14 hours, and most of that is at night.

It's dark, you're sleeping, so you don't see much.

But that not a problem, because after you've seen 1,000 rice fields, how many more do you want to see?

Here is a web site with valuable details about train travel in Thailand:

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

..This is now of importance because soon I shall undertake a due diligence inspection of Khun Noi's family estate near Korat and am still clueless about a civilised way to get there , and back of course . ..

BuBi

You still haven't made this trip? You have been talking about it for months now. Last I heard you were going to charter an airplane and now you have sunk to considering taking a train? :o

TH

** I got serious food poisoning from a club sandwich I purchased on the train. **

ddddddddddddddave ,

we are all your friends here and you may admit you found it under the seat . Your remark gives Thai Railways Shinawatra Catering Inc. a negative image and therefore I cancel your current visa and you wil be deported tomorrow 5:30 am .

BuBi

:grinyes::grinyes::grinyes::grinyes:

"Club sandwich" means it was made from a rodent the "chef" bashed with a club ...

Best way to take the train is to book a sleeper on the night express. Then order a meal (or take something from KFC with you) and order a bottle or two of Singha. (Think they only stock big bottles.) About the time you finish, they come around and make up your bunk and you are ready to crash. When you wake up the next morning, you are near your destination. Have a breakfast of ham and eggs and a cup of coffee.

Thaihome ,

I am not a well paid expat but only a member of the European working classes . I cannot rent planes , only women . According to the concierge at the riverlodge a twin engine Chessna from Don Muang would cost close to 1000 USD to Korat including a 3 hours layover for plane and driver . Could also be this was per hour , I cannot remember . Looking at further expenses like building house etc I decided to keep a low profile and prefer to show austerity and low income . My travel plans look as if I take take a Thai limo with female driver to Korat and go back by train . The female driver I trust more than a Thai - Schumi and I also like travelling by train very much . I am thinking about having supplies ready to board the train every 90 minutes or so , simply copying how they feed the cyclists at the Tour de France .

All this should happen in October between the 2 sessions of the Canton Fair .

BuBi

I was did a trip from BKK south toward Samui on an overnight train in 1st Class, I've never comptemplated that journey again. My GF wants to go to Ubon by train as I refuse to travel by bus. Anyone made that tortuous journey so far east?

My preferred option is to fly or drive.

JP

Archived