Cask wine.

Julian2

Was in Tachilek yesterday and in the duty free shop across from Immigration I noticed they had cask red wine (this is the cardboard box with a foil liner that holds 4 litres)for 450B. The bad news is that it's Bulgarian. I heard a rumour that they eat the grapes first. Anyone tried any Bulgarian plonk lately? At that price I should have taken a risk but I still have half a gallon of cheap Italian here.

Ahh, the old Chateau Shoebox....another great Aussie invention !!

Actually some of the Aussie casks are very good quality wines for the price (approx. AUD $20 for 4 litres)

Dunno about Bulgarian though !! I guess if it's no good, you could always use it in a Kwai casserole. :grinyes:

The duty free shop at Tachilek has a good selection of imported wines ranging from 400B a bottle up. The last few months I've been bringing home some half litre cans of European beer that has been excellent drinking at 25B a can. My Mrs who hates all things Burmese (and Lao, Kymer, Issan etc etc) was sceptical also but I've examined the cans and bottles very closely and am prepared to bet money it's not made in China. The CDs and DVDs in the same shop I would not bet one satang on. :)

Box wine is enormously popular in Australia for party or BBQ events, even just budget drinking and comes in 2 to 4 liter casks of varying prices and qualities.

The duty free shops in Vientiane also have good selections of wines, and liquor, decent prices. Oh, and they are the real deal, the "duty free shops" near Khao Phra Vihaarn however are a different story! Mekong (or worse) in a black label bottle...

Archived