Donating to a Thai upcountry school

khunsanuk

Hi,

My wife got a call from one of the teachers from the school in her 'village'. He mentioned this Mother's Day (12th August) there is a fundraiser for a new library at the school and of course he was asking if we could help :)

In this case I do not mind so much as I know this guy and I know he really tries his best with the little funds he has available. So, I guess I'll be chipping in a 1,000 Baht or so.

Now, my wife knows about this website and that there are lots of people reading, so he had the brilliant idea of me putting up a post asking if anybody wants to help out :)

I'll be at Gulliver's this Friday and if you would like to help out any cash I receive then I can take with me on Saturday morning. You can also use the Donate link, and if you do please PT me that this is for the school and not a normal donation for the board.

Sanuk!

PS Any books in Thai would be great as well.

Hi KS. I think education is so important for kids and I fully support your efforts. However I would like to point out that I think this is a dangerous precedent you are entering here. Many of us on the board support causes. I sponsor an orphan school in Mae Sot for IDP's from Burma. Having said that I am not sure whether using the board is appropriate to raise funds even though it's a worthy cause. Would I be out of line to make a similar post next time I head up to the border? I am open to other's thoughts here but just feel this needs to be said. I would personally like to see this become a regular part of this board but I think it needs to be thought through a bit more.

Hi,

To be honest, if it wasn't for my wife asking, I would not have posted this as I feel a bit uncomfortable about this ('asking for money').

Not really certain what you mean with setting a dangerous precedent, btw. And no, I have no problem with other people posting similar requests.

I do think though (and this is gonna sound a bit odd, but I hope you guys know what I mean) that response will depend a lot on how well-known the person making the request is.

I'd be happy to talk about doing something a bit more 'professional' (seperate forum/webpage, setup a bankaccount and have several people decide where the money goes?).

BTW, this is the same school that we donate a second-hand PC to with the proceeds / donations from the AGM party.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Not really certain what you mean with setting a dangerous precedent, btw. And no, I have no problem with other people posting similar requests. Sanuk!

You pretty well just answered that yourself. I would be happy to get involved to help set something up for ongoing project. I have this idea to open a food cart for the underpriveleged kids somewhere one day. When I'm in Mae Sot I usually play pied piper to all these kids. I find a food cart and pay for a bowl of noodles for the next few days for each of them. That's what gave me the idea.

Archived