Help about Thai ARt

junglesoup

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed all!!

Nice to know there are some people here who give a shit about art and know what they are talking about. Good to see those posts ND and Jitagawn.

Best,

theNumbers

Well, a known artist can display a shit and have it hailed as great social commentary. The homeless get hassled for defecating in public.

:stirthepo

Shyguy, agree with you totally, when I taught years and years ago, I had every fortnight 2 new apprentices who would spend 2 weeks with us in our studios, many would go onto art school, but sadly they would say they learnt more in two weeks with my artists than in a year at art school. Why? Many art schools in the late 80's and 90's had a passion for breaking the rules.

Our motto was simple, KNOW the rules, then break them if you want too.

Learn the CRAFT of being a artist, THEN express yourself.

From my ex student now lecturer in Brisvegas, he says that the art school IS now working more on the craft area than before. Mainly becuase technology and it's interaction with art fforces a deeper understanding of the artists mediums than before. Ironically "New" art brings back a respect for the craft of art work, which was lost in the post modernist binge of the 80's and early 90's.

DOG

I agree with you ND that the problem with some of what happened with post modernism is it did not heed the lessons of it's predecessors :banghead:

You need to understand what came before, in order to reject it or adhere to it, and this is what good art after modernism has been about. I still don't get Sherry Levine rephotographing Walker Evans' picture and selling it to the MOMA for more than the original (which they also own).

She's no dummy though, and that is why taking a shit as "shyeguy" said can be contextualized as art. It is all about the light you cast it in :dunno: plus a good curator and PR campaign.

I would say half the art these days in Chelsea people don't honestly "get". They read the reviews in Village Voice and artist statement in the gallery in order to be educated to comprehend the art.

I do think good art should stand on its own, even if it is a piece of shit (I mean that both ways).

Anyone been to see Damien Hirst's prints at Tonson?? I am pretty unimpressed with him lately.

Best,

theNumbers

I would say half the art these days in Chelsea people don't honestly "get". They read the reviews in Village Voice and artist statement in the gallery in order to be educated to comprehend the art.

Don't forget not many people 'got' Picasso when he was starting out. Many still don't.

Not that I'd compare Hirst or Emin to Picasso.

This may amuse you...

http://tinyurl.com/o78x4

Stuckists are funny to me... thanks for the link.

Figurative painting comes in and out every 10 to 20 years in the market. Painting is not inextricably linked to the overall big picture of postmodernism.

Schnabel was still selling his crap paintings in the 1980's before he became a filmmaker with "Basquiat" :dunno:

The stuckists can't take credit for Saatchi's banging a gong (T. Rex reference) in London for painting now. I just view it as a marketing ploy, with the rebirth of painting shows he is curating because people get bored with art. So, everything has to come in and out of fashion.

Hirst is no Picasso, and Chelsea is no Salon des Refuses showing Manet. It is a bloody marketplace with an interpreter for shoppers being the critics and galleries. Nothing really chancy around. This is what I meant by "getting it" :doah: shame ain't it..

Best,

theNumbers

Archived