Any weird food in Bangkok

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bane Lao and Vientiane Kitchen restaurants (both in Sukhumvit 36) have a full range of exotic Lao/Isan dishes, including red ant larva soup and salad (in season -- sorry, don't know when "season" is) and barbequed water buffalo gums.

I have also heard that there are some restaurants around specializing in "jungle food" ("aharn paa") that appeal mostly to Chinese and Korean tour groups. These places have snake, wild boar, civet cat, pangolin, and other exotic meats -- many of them protected and therefore illegal to serve. As this sort of thing does not appeal to me, I have not investigated further.

quote:

Originally posted by PvtDick:

The Bane Lao and Vientiane Kitchen restaurants (both in Sukhumvit 36) have a full range of exotic Lao/Isan dishes, including red ant larva soup and salad (in season -- sorry, don't know when "season" is) and barbequed water buffalo gums.

I have eaten at Vientiane on Soi 36 many times and one time felt adventurous and ordered the red ant larvae salad (very spicy), fried duck beaks (tastes like chicken), and fried baby frogs (eat the whole thing). None of it made me gag, but I wouldn't order it again either. Didn't try the water buffalo gums.

Bon Apetit!

Ranger

Thanks PvtDick,

The ant larva sounds good. I agree with you about the "jungle food" places. I don't want to encourage eating endangered animals so I will stay away from there. The snake restaurants usually raise their own snakes so I would still like to try one of these.

I've seen urban deer (dog) in a food stand in Bangkok before. I'd say try the smaller sois or those away from farangland.

Plenty of Issan foods are pretty exotic if you stop to examine the contents. Very spicy / smelly too. Pla ra for instance.

The water beetle (maengda) are particularly noxious looking so if you're into that give them at try.

quote:

Originally posted by samak:

[QB]dogs and rats are poor people's food in thailand (with the exception of sakhon nakhon, where dog is appreciated food) QB]

Is that what that was? That cute little wench served me "something special" with a chuckle! As for Viantiane Kitchen, I love that place! I especially like the fried duck beaks! I don't remember the whole baby frogs...maybe out of season!

Snake is available, you can actually purchase them live in Klong Toei market.

As for Jungle food, a few years ago whilst I was in Cambodia, there was an article about Jungle food, one item classed as a delicacy is Roasted Bears Paws. To make it more delcious and tender it needs to have andrenaline flowing through the Paw as it's being cooked. How do they do that?

They cook the Paw on the live animal and then cut it off and serve it.

Still want Jungle food??

Archived